resistance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry for the stupid question but i have a feeling even after i get an explanation it will still baffle me. but at the same time might explain alot to why things are done and how like biasing and stuff to me.

ok i understand that if you take 2 resisters of the same rsistance and ruin them side by side, parallel, you get a resistance of half the one resister. example say 1.6k + 1.6k would equal 800ohm. i mean thats a given.

what gets me is sasy you take that 1.6k with a 100ohm you would get a resistance of 100ohm. why? ok yeah the electrons like the shortest fastest rout but why?

or is my meter just a piece?

impsick said:
sorry for the stupid question but i have a feeling even after i get an explanation it will still baffle me. but at the same time might explain alot to why things are done and how like biasing and stuff to me.

ok i understand that if you take 2 resisters of the same rsistance and ruin them side by side, parallel, you get a resistance of half the one resister. example say 1.6k + 1.6k would equal 800ohm. i mean thats a given.

what gets me is sasy you take that 1.6k with a 100ohm you would get a resistance of 100ohm. why? ok yeah the electrons like the shortest fastest rout but why?

or is my meter just a piece?

Electricity does not follow the shortest path, or the path of least resistance, but rather all available paths according to their resistance.

a 1.6k resistor allows x current to flow.
Two 1.6k resistors will allow 2 times the current to flow, equol to one resistor of 1/2 the resistance or 800 ohms.

1.6k in parallel with 100 ohms would have the current of the 100 ohm plus the current of the 1.6k resistor, or about equal to one resistor of 94 ohms.

1/R + 1/R +1/R... =1/Total

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.