2SK389 for left and right channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
389 as a single ended FET for the front end of a power amp?
How do you stabilise the DC voltages?

I think it would be better the use the matched pairs as both sides of an LTP input. Then the electrical match is some use and the thermal coupling works to the amps' benefit as well. That's the sort of application it was designed for.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
antomas said:
Hi everybody!
Anyone knows if there is any pitfall in using a 2SK389 dual fet (on a common substrate) for left and right channed of a preamplifier?
Crosstalk? Anything else?

Thanks very much to anyone willing to answer.
Massimo

without any comment about actual project ( why should I) I can tell that's waste ;

keep it for something where you'll need dual jfet; use instead any single jfet you can easily find........2SJ74 , J309,j310

Sorry Gentlemen for having been imprecise and thanks for your answers.

I'd like to use these dual fet for R & L channels in a phono preamp (the Pacific RIAA discussed here and elsewhere).
Reasons for using the 2sk389 are:
1. I already have some;
2. I wouldn't like to purchase several 2sk170 just to find two decently matched couples (I'm aware some vendor on the net sells matched pairs).
Thanks a lot once again,
Massimo

Hi,
if you don't NEED the 389 then sell/swap them for dozens of 170/74.
Now that the obsolete stocks are running low the retail price has jumped a factor of ten times in just 12months.
Don't waste them on single ended.

You don't need to match 170 across the two channels.

Back to the original question...

Gentlemen, thanks for all the information and suggestions.

But coming back to the original question, the common substrate of my 2SK389GRs (the real thing!) may have a negative impact on the circuit? Anyone eventually TRIED to use them this way?

Thanks very much for your answers.
Massimo

P.S. I promise to sell all the 2SK389 left on Ebay and to buy Enron bonds. :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.