multiple components with one psu?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building my first preamp after successfully building Peter's LM3875 Chip amp. I have bought circuit boards from Elliot Sound Productions in Australia. My preamp will consist of:

- Signal selection
- phono stage (separate pcb)
- preamp pcb
- volume potentiometer
- 3 band eq (with adjustable mid q and bypass-able, this will be p2p wiring)

My question is thus:

Can I use my ESP +- 15V power supply to power the preamp, phono stage, and eq stage? I suspect I can ... but I'd like more info.

here's a link to info on the psu board I'm building.

hxxp://sound.westhost.com/project05a.htm

... and the preamp ...

hxxp://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm

... and the phono stage ...

hxxp://sound.westhost.com/project06.htm

Thanks everybody!

Yes you can do this. Return all power connections directly to the PSU board, don't daisy-chain boards together.

You might want to add some small heatsinks to the regulators on the PSU, if the regulators get too hot. Try it without first and touch them. If they are getting too warm (you can't hold onto them for a few seconds without it hurting) then add heatsinks.

When regulators are in the middle of a circuit board, applying heat sink is tricky...

In this case I solder the regs on the underside of the board (the copper side), fold the legs, and screw them on the chassis metal plate on which the PCB is mounted. Works well on aluminum plates, but not on steel.

(watch the pinout though, don't solder them with reversed pinout...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.