Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2006, 07:01 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt
Wavebourn:
Also, I can distinguish natural sibiliant consonants from distorted.

Man, I don't even know what sibiliant consonants are, but that sounds impressive. I can identify between the 400Hz and 1kHz test tones of my RF amp test rig without looking at the frequency switch.....usually.

Am I similarly gifted?
Even more gifted than the rest of people who don't care of spectral analyzing and other measurements, they just say: "I don't know why, and don't want to know why, but this sounds more natural than that".
Old 24th November 2006, 08:25 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Glen, the MJL21193 series devices are interesting for certain applications. For example, if I wanted to make a really powerful woofer amplifier for a PA or even a high end audio system. Motor drives would be ideal for this device.
It isn't 'perfect' for high frequency reproduction, but I am pretty sure from past experience that I could make an acceptable power amp with a slew rate of 50-100V/us with these devices. The Levinson ML-2 power amp (JC-3) used similar devices, e.g. the 2N5684 and 2N5884 series.
Old 24th November 2006, 08:50 PM   #123
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Cordell
One thing that I had not adequately kept up with is some of the developments in newer switchmode MOSFET technology, particularly in regard to so-called Trench FETs. These are quite different from the IRFP240 type planar power MOSFETs we have usually used, and indeed appear to be less suitable for use in linear circuits.

Bob

http://powerelectronics.com/mag/Ely%...2004%20PET.pdf
Old 24th November 2006, 09:04 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I prefer 2SA5200/2SC1943, up to 3A per device.
Old 25th November 2006, 03:18 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lumanauw
Hi, Bob Cordell,

It can be seen that the positive part is common collector, while the negative part is common emitor usage mode of output transistors, so it is not balanced between positive and negative half.

Yes the negative part is CE, but if you apply a current feedback to its driver and it performs just like a CC type with low Z.....
Old 25th November 2006, 03:23 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
Glen, the MJL21193 series devices are interesting for certain applications. For example, if I wanted to make a really powerful woofer amplifier for a PA or even a high end audio system. Motor drives would be ideal for this device.
It isn't 'perfect' for high frequency reproduction, but I am pretty sure from past experience that I could make an acceptable power amp with a slew rate of 50-100V/us with these devices. The Levinson ML-2 power amp (JC-3) used similar devices, e.g. the 2N5684 and 2N5884 series.

I agree, John. Sounds reasonable to me.

Bob
Old 25th November 2006, 08:38 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Cordell

I agree, John. Sounds reasonable to me.

Bob

What reasonable....Glen has made its point and we are waiting to see something excellent from your side too BOB...all the forum members are just curious about the Mosfet Vs BJT debate....
Old 25th November 2006, 11:35 AM   #128
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Workhorse

...all the forum members are just curious about the Mosfet Vs BJT debate....
HI.

The thread seems in danger of deteriorating ..............

Can someone comment on the hybrid output pair, as posted by Wavebourne in post 12.??

Does this not give the best of both worlds??

Andy
Old 25th November 2006, 12:58 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Best of the both worlds give cascode connection of Mosfet + BJT, as was shown in TAA by authors Pass/ Hagard....
Old 25th November 2006, 01:50 PM   #130
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Wavebourne:
Even more gifted than the rest of people who don't care of spectral analyzing and other measurements, they just say: "I don't know why, and don't want to know why, but this sounds more natural than that".

Mate, I donít know if Iím reading you correctly here or not, but I was only joking around Ė didnít mean to offend. I was mostly poking fun at my own incompetence at subjective audio evaluation. Iím not particularly musically talented. When it comes to amplifier evaluation, specifications and measurements mean more to me than personal subjective evaluations.

Cheers,
Glen

Hide this!Advertise here!