Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nelson,
I didn't say which way the slope was heading! :D For your application, the mosfet is probably the right tool.

For me, so far bipolars have worked out better than mosfets. I still play with mosfets though, and I'll use them in applications where I can make them work to my advantage. Same as you I imagine.

The nice thing about your work is that you've been able to make each device choice a success.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Normally there is never a great living to be made in audio. I'm addicted too. Possibly a 12 step program is needed here.

After 16 years I sold my audio service shop so that I could support my wife and kids. I went through instrument calibration and service, then on to telecommunications. None of these other professions demand as great a skill as analog work. They do pay much better though.

As a result I now have time to experiment and still service a couple select brands and customers.

So I have my hobby more under control, but it's still what makes me tick, or clunk (as the case may be).

I don't know what your answer is. Take a hint from guys like Bob Carver and put some unnecessary zing into your products. Create a value line of completely your own design, under your name and promote yourself. Promoting yourself is exactly the problem though. Most good designers are uncomfortable with attention and hide.

-Chris

john curl said:
I am obviously confused. I have been designing audio products for 40 years. There must be a better way to make a living. :ashamed: You know: My name is John and I am an audio designer. Is there a 12 step program for this?

Hi John,

My hat goes off to anyone in audio who makes a living at it. I love it, and yes am addicted to it, but I have never had the guts to try and make a living at it. Telecom provides a comfortable living to pay the mortgage (although it was a little less comfortable during the bubble burst - I was one of the lucky ones), and allows me time on the side to indulge this madness.

Cheers,
Bob