lateral mosfets in high end amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oupss....made mistake

i was not clear enough....

does somebody knows which manufacturer of high quality audio amplifiers uses (if anybody is using them) lateral mosfets...

manufacturers like Mark Levinson, Krell (well, i know Krell is not using them but) and not manufacturers like Hitachi, Renesas :))

my mistake, sorry....

:)

It might be because audio is a niche market. Most MOSFET applications are used for high speed switching. High power linear operation with high losses and the associated heat-cycling of the silicon just isn't a popular design solution for practically anything except audio.

I think lateral MOSFETs may be a cheaper, older technology, but they just don't enjoy the same economies of scale.

sparkle said:
Acoustic Arts seems to be a nice company all right...nice looking products....

lateral mosfets are rather expensive - this is probably the reason why they are not used more in audio ...

anybody knows any other reason for not using them in audio instead of the normal Mosfet's like IRF group...

Most like the issue is price -- they are 3x the price of a HexFET -- and single source --

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.