real beginner amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
inadaze is offline inadaze  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default real beginner amplifier

Hello everyone,
I would like to build a small (and hopefully inexpensive) amplifier to plug my ipod into outside during the summer. I tried searching the forum but, unfortunately I don't know enough about electronics to follow the posts.
Could anyone have the heart enough to help out a beginner with this?

Cheers,
Jason
Old 8th May 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason, welcome to amp building. Here's my opinion/advice:

Start with a chip amp. They are perfect starter projects, sound quite respectable and can be made very powerful if need be. You can build them from scratch, buy a ready-to-assemble kit, or anything in between. Plus, you can scale them up or down to suit your budget (I'm thinking of the power supplies in particular here). They can be made quite small.

Look in the chip amp forum. Read a lot first. Check out BrianGT's www.chipamp.com and Peter Daniel's www.audiosector.com for excellent examples. There are many others.

Good luck.

..Todd
Old 8th May 2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree....For a First Amp project you would not want to build a discrete Transistor amp as they are hard to troubleshoot and easier to screw up......

Chipamps are great cuz you can build something that sounds good and goes really loud with just a few parts and even be done P2P or make your own PCB"s if you can.....

I use one as a Guitar amp and it goes plenty loud enough to overwelm the drums and sounds great to boot.....

CHeers
Old 8th May 2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

For a step by step, google decibel dungeon, and look at the basic ICG (inverted gainclone...) was my first diy amp too...
Old 8th May 2007, 07:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also check out the many modification threads over in Class D on the Sonic Impact, and the various Tripath kits, especially the Amp 6 from 41hz.com. Until you get into big (100w+) power, they're small and cheap. They're all highly efficient--which means a lot if you're planning on running your unit on battery power.

These small Tripath-based class D projects are manageable for a beginner, and imensely gratifying when the (great) sound comes out.

--Buckapound
Old 9th May 2007, 05:48 PM   #6
inadaze is offline inadaze  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow! Thanks so much. This is all great.
I took a beginners class on electronics last year but I have been a little discouraged ever since. I am glad I found his forum so that I have someone to ask questions to as they arise.

Thanks for the starting point...

Cheers,
Jay
Old 9th May 2007, 11:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason, I've just "finished" my first diy amp, a chipamp.com LM3875 with a Decibel Dungeon "Uno" preamp using a pair of Vikash designed Fr125s ported speakers.
There were times when I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew but with the help of some top people on this forum it all came together!
It sounds splendid, a friend said it was like wearing headphones, it might not make any sense now but it will when you hear it for yourself.
Go carefully and you will have something that sounds better than you thought possible for the price of mass produced mediocrity.
Be warned though, it's addictive, I haven't painted my new speakers yet and I'm already looking at more ambitious design for the next ones!
JB
Old 10th May 2007, 02:22 AM   #8
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Chipamp like the LM1875 or the LM3875 is a good choice for beginner.
Old 10th May 2007, 03:45 AM   #9
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ask DIYparadise in Malaysia, for Tripath amp, can it run on battery? not sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!