Offset nulling - kind request of advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 07:13 AM   #1
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Default Offset nulling - kind request of advice

Dear Sirs,

while any amp has a bias trimmer it seems to me that a lot of amps do not have an offset nulling trimmer
Am I wrong ?
In general, how much offset at the speakers terminals is usually acceptable ?
And what can I do if the offset is higher and there is no nulling trimmer ?

Thanks and regards,

beppe
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 11:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dona paula, Goa
Default ETI 480...

For this amp, an output offset of more than 50mV is considered as fault. At least that is what the site (don't remember the website) on the net says.

If the amp is newly constructed, the offset will be high if the LTP pair is not matched.

The symasym needs three pairs of matched transistors and offset will be low if followed.

Gajanan Phadte
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Default Re: ETI 480...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gmphadte
For this amp, an output offset of more than 50mV is considered as fault
At least that is what the site (don't remember the website) on the net says.
If the amp is newly constructed, the offset will be high if the LTP pair is not matched.
The symasym needs three pairs of matched transistors and offset will be low if followed.
Gajanan Phadte


Thank you very much for your kind and valuable reply.
Is there a "normal" value for an acceptable offset ?
Does a such value exist ?
Can you confirm me the fact that an offset nulling trimmer is rarely seen inside an amp ?
Excuse me, just one question.
What the LTP pair is ?

Kind regards,

beppe
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member
 
richie00boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Upto 100mV offset is not a problem. This range is easily within the scope of a well designed amp, which is why such amps never feature a need to adjust the offset.
__________________
www.readresearch.co.uk my website for UK diy audio people - designs, PCBs, kits and more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 02:48 PM   #5
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Originally posted by richie00boy

Upto 100mV offset is not a problem.
This range is easily within the scope of a well designed amp, which is why such amps never feature a need to adjust the offset


Thanks very much for the very helpful information.
Now that I think more about it I have never seen an amp with a offset nulling trimmer.

Reading it otherwise an amp with an offset > 100mV should have some problems, like a bad component ?
Am I wrong ?

Thanks and regards,

beppe
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member
 
richie00boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Yes. Maybe a burned resistor or transistor causing improper performance.
__________________
www.readresearch.co.uk my website for UK diy audio people - designs, PCBs, kits and more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 04:18 PM   #7
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Originally posted by richie00boy [/i]
Yes.
Maybe a burned resistor or transistor causing improper performance


Thank you very much again. Very helpful to me indeed.
Clearly if offset were a real problem a trimmer for nulling it could be found somewhere.

Kind regards,

beppe
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 04:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dona paula, Goa
In a typical amp, a Long Tailed Pair abbreviated as LTP will be used. It can be made from BJTs or FETs. There will be two transistors in the simpler and most designs. These two control the total power amp. Any deviation in their parameters viz. Vbe and Hfe, will lead to improper error correction which leads to offset at the output in a functional power amp.

The ideal offset value is no doubt 'Zero' volts, but even if u do not match the LTP transistors, u will end up in offset of less than 10mV. One of my symasym with no matching of any transistors shows 6mV offset.

Attachment shows the LTP in Symasym.

Gajanan phadte
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ltp.jpg (8.6 KB, 89 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 07:03 AM   #9
beppe61 is offline beppe61  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: torino
Originally posted by gmphadte

In a typical amp, a Long Tailed Pair abbreviated as LTP will be used. It can be made from BJTs or FETs.
There will be two transistors in the simpler and most designs. These two control the total power amp.
Any deviation in their parameters viz. Vbe and Hfe, will lead to improper error correction which leads to offset at the output in a functional power amp.
The ideal offset value is no doubt 'Zero' volts, but even if u do not match the LTP transistors, u will end up in offset of less than 10mV.
One of my symasym with no matching of any transistors shows 6mV offset.
Attachment shows the LTP in Symasym.
Gajanan phadte


Thank you so much Sir for the very kind and valuable explanation.
Moreover I have learnt that a high off-set (>100mV) means is an index of something wrong inside the amp.
But a friend of mine is modding two identical mono power amps.
In one offset is 15mV in the other 35mV
Not to worry ?

Thanks again and kind regards,

beppe
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 07:13 AM   #10
boholm is offline boholm  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
boholm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Copenhagen
FYI:

There is a third option: A DC servo, which is a circuit that holds the output at 0,000 volts - or close ;-). This can be made also with or without a trimmer.
__________________
Best regards
Bo
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Request of kind help. beppe61 Solid State 22 20th February 2006 01:36 PM
Kind request of opinion - minimal schema with darlingtons. beppe61 Solid State 22 13th February 2006 06:30 PM
Experience with IXYS bridges - kind request. beppe61 Parts 1 5th December 2005 10:19 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2