Audibility of output coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
.5uH only for Halcro. Why don't you folks stop talking and start calculating?

John,

Are you referring to the large coil that looks like it is made of
copper tubing and has a large brass fitting at one end?

I believe it is also to block external RF from entering the amp.

Interesting amp for sure, however it looks like the much cheaper
balanced Bruno Putzeys amp is pretty close in measured performance.

cheers

Terry

john curl said:
Calculate the inductance from the MEASURED 20KHz impedance as measured by 'Stereophile'. What is wrong with everybody? Are there no engineers here?:xeye:

John, I get 0.78uH. I got this from:

L = sqrt(0.14^2 - 0.1^2) / (2 * pi * 20e3)

R = 0.1 and

sqrt(R^2 + X^2) = 0.14 @ 20 kHz and

X = omega * L (neglect the parallel R)

This is for the DM88

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john curl said:
.5uH only for Halcro. Why don't you folks stop talking and start calculating?

So what John? It's still a large air wound inductor, isn't it?
You have made the claim than any output inductor compromises an amplifiers sonic ability. Are 0.5uH inductors now all of a sudden OK in your opinion?

Cheers,
Glen

A different angle...

Hello all,
Very interesting thread.
I'm looking at the electro-mechanical model for a speaker and I'm inclined to believe that the output inductor may play an 'audible' role. You guys may infirm what I'm saying, as my knowledge of these matters is pretty much insignificant.:ashamed: :ashamed:

Let's take the Seas T25CF001 tweeter: this one has Re=4.8ohms; Ce=2.2F and Le=50uH. A 2uH is like 4% of Le, so...is this significant, can we just choose to neglect it...?

For sure playing with those (soooo expensive and therefore not so much playing for me actually) series capacitors in the tweeter X-over gives clearly different results. May we also blame capacitor's ESL for these more or less subtle changes, among other factors?

Sorry for derailing the thread, calling in a loudspeaker designer may bring in some ... synergy :confused: :D

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john curl said:
0.5uH is given my qualified OK. OK? I don't NEED a coil, myself, but if you NEED one, then .5uH and 1 ohm or less in parallel is as close to OK as is practical.
It's 2-6uH that I think is too much.

Okkaayyyy..........

After all this arguing we have now extracted from John the conviction that any inductor up to 2uH is hunky-dory. Hallelujah!

Between 2 and 6uH is cited as bad.

What about above 6uH John??? :clown:

Cheers,
Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.