Audibility of output coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
G.Kleinschmidt said:

Just a little point or two; A high power amplifier design of several hundred watts using lots of output pairs will have an intrinsically low output impedance, even before the application of global NFB, and especially so if high fT BJT's are used.
It is exceedingly silly to base an argument on both the general need and “audibility” of output coils on such a design.
A low power design with only a few output pairs, if not just a single pair, will have an output stage with a much higher intrinsic output impedance – especially so if a MOSFET output stage is used in favour of a BJT output stage, which may have a higher output impedance due to the lower transconductance of MOSFET devices over BJT’s.
A low power MOSFET power amp with low global negative feedback enclosing the output stage can have a reasonably large equivalent output inductance.

Cheers,
Glen

Hi Glen,

I don't think the effective output inductance of a small MOSFET power amplifier is nearly as high as you might think.

Take a MOSFET power amplifier where the output stage is biased at 200 mA idle. The effective Rs (=1/gm) of each output transistor at crossover is about 1.25 ohms. The parallel combination of the P and N devices brings the open loop output impedance down to 0.6 ohms.

Even with only 20 dB of NFB at 20 kHz, the effective output impedance will be about 1/10 this after the loop is closed, or about 0.06 ohms.

A reactive output impedance of 0.06 ohms at 20 kHz corresponds to approximately 0.5 uH, which is quite adequately low.

Keep in mind that this is for only 20 dB of NFB and no error correction. This example would not be a very high-performing example of a MOSFET power amplifier.

Cheers,
Bob

john curl said:
Oh, I'm dead serious! But I don't want you to think that I am mad or anything like that. It gets tiresome over the decades to go through this time and again. Matti Otala was NOT 100% correct on everything, but he was THE pioneer, not Bob, or even me. My forte is circuit topologies, and that is what I contributed in the early days.

John, I think that your forte is the spreading of unsubstantiated fertilizer.

You are the one that keeps bringing this up. I is a pity that you cannot get past something that happened over 25 years ago. You are living in the past. You couldn't make MOSFEts work for you 20 years ago, so you never used them again and told other people they are no good. You were disappointed in ECAD as a simulator 40 years ago, so you dismiss SPICE as a useful audio design tool.

Let it go and start dealing in the present. You'll find that you have a lot more credibility if you do that.

Bob

john curl said:
How about this, Bob? Post #796
"... Your mention of Otala is relevant here. I think he could be considered an unconventional thinker. Indeed he was one of the smarter and well-informed unconventional thinkers. Unfortunately, he had some blind spots. While much of what he asserted was technically correct in some respects, he reached bottom-line conclusions that were simply wrong and have long since been disproved. ???????
... He went on to wrongly conclude that large amounts of negative feedack were the cause of TIM, and that the solution was low feedback or no feedback. (Works for me!) In so doing, he misled an entire generation of audio engineers. He also proposed other forms of distortion that were supposedly caused or exacerbated by NFB, such as PIM and IIM, and was again proven wrong when others carefully examined his results. ..."

AND ON AND ON IT GOES! This is really low rent, especially since Otala is not available to defend himself, as he has suffered strokes that limit his participation, if he is even alive at this time. I have known and worked with Matti Otala for years. I KNOW what he thinks and when his ideas work or not.
Cordell is just trying to make himself look good by trashing Otala.
27 years ago, we completely trashed Bob Cordell with an approximately 25 page rebuttal that was sent to him. It was signed by Matti Otala Dr. Marshal Leach, Walt Jung and me. Just wait till I dig it up!

Hi John,

I stand by what I said there about Otala's writings. I am, of course, very sorry to hear that he had a stroke. I was unaware of that.

Here's the thing about TIM, PIM IIM, etc. Matti generally blamed these on high values of negative feedback often accompanied by low open loop bandwidth. Unlike many others, Matti was kind enough to define ways of objectively measuring these distortions. All I did was to demonstrate, with real amplifiers, that TIM, PIM and IIM were just as low when large feedback factors, low open loop bandwidth, and high open loop output imedance were involved. I just showed that, using Otala's own measurement techniques, his generalizations about large amounts of negative feeback being a culprit were unjustified generalizations that were wrong most of the time.

I was certainly not alone in criticizing Otala's conclusions, nor was I the first. Just look at the literature and references. I think I was in pretty good company.

For those who are interested and want to make up their own minds on this, just go to my website at www.cordellaudio.com and read the relevant papers and the many, many included references.

It seems that every time you mention that old 27-year-old "rebuttal", the approximate number of pages increases! Now it is up to 25 pages! Holy cr@p! Why don't you dig it out and scan it, with the signatures, and email it to me and I'll publish it right on my web site. All I remember is a pretty limp letter to the editor in Audio that I responded to. It certainly did not "trash" what I had written.

I fully expect that you will not be able to provide this, as it is often the case when you are challenged you suddenly cannot come up with the goods. However, in the event that I am wrong, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Cheers,
Bob

Folks, I do not go around and try to find problems in Bob's existing design.
The ONLY point that I have ever made here on this website, is that EXTRAPOLATION of Bob's original design to a much more powerful amplifier, would probably not work very well. In other words raising the power supply voltage from +/- 35V to +/- 80V or so, and just changing the fet part numbers to a higher voltage version of the same part isn't going to do it. That is the ONLY concern that I have about all-fet amps, that I have already designed in many examples.
My largest amp operates at +/- 90V, so I some experience in this area.
Now, when it comes to SPICE, why would I generate a Spice simulation AFTER the amp is already in production? I have a pretty good idea how the amp works, and I have real amps at my disposal to test, if I have a question. Why would I need a Spice simulation at this late date? Now, does this imply that I am afraid of Spice? I don't know how you get that idea. I just know that it has limitations. It is good to know this.
In 1966, I was partially hired to my first professional job, because of my enthusiasm for computer circuit emulation. I was even put in charge of modeling the components, emulating the circuits to be simulated, and running the mainframe computer myself. I had technicians who worked under me to help keypunch the cards needed and a seasoned engineer over me (who subsequently went to Lawrence Livermore Labs). I was gung-ho for simulation, UNTIL another engineer found that the computer was giving us FAIL results when it could be proven by a simple slide rule calculation that it was impossible. At least, I LEARNED from this situation.
New and improved SPICE has the same potential limitations that we had with ECAP 40 years ago, and seasoned engineers are always laughing at those who completely depend on Spice for circuit modeling. Is this so difficult to accept?

mikelm said:
OK - thanks

Only I wonder if one sits in a concert hall in the good seats - lets say 20 meters from the conductor - I wonder to what extent the sound is rolled off in the high frequencies, and then again how much if one is 40 meters away

...and I also wonder what network on an amp o/p would truly reflect this roll off.

what I'm getting around to is this:

Is the effect of an o/p coil on an amp any worse than moving back a few rows in a concert hall or does it have some unpleasant effect that is unnatural and would never be replicated in the acoustic world ?

There are far greater effects of moving than that of air nonlinearities.

janneman said:

Have you ever done this sweep in your room? I did. You will be in for a shock. All those reflections will cause a large number of frequency irregularities, from build-up to cancellation. The effect will be less with highly beaming speakers, and if you can afford to use an abondoned church as your listening room it will also be less, but normally we don't want that because we need some reflections for 'life' in the music. Then, as said, music itself causes constuctive and destructive interferences.

I don't disagree with you that the effect existst. I don't disagree with you that we strive to eliminate errors as much as possible. I just think that adjusting the acoustic centers of your drivers doesn't do so much for the end result. I wouldn't spend too much money on it. But, of course, YMMV.

Jan Didden

Jan, My listening room is LEDE based.
So, it makes a difference (to me YMMV).
I also don't use simple 12dB/oct crossovers for the same reason.

phase_accurate said:

I don't think that it is that extreme as long as the drivers in question cover different frequency ranges. The lower driver would produce much less SPL at the higher frequencies and therefore have less "notching ability".

Enclosed you will find the simulation of a subtractive crossover @ 1 kHz effective crossover frequency (2nd order highpass 1st order lowpass). Blue is the highpass output and yellow is the derived lowpass output. The green trace is the sum with the higpass leading by 300 us and the red trace is the sum with the lowpass leading by 300 us. Keep in mind that 300 us is quite a lot in this frequency range (about 10 cm offset). One can clearly see the decreasing response aberrations if one is moving away from the crossover frequency.

Sorry for the OT.

Regards

Charles

Have you ever listened for yourself, or just relied on simulations?
As has been said here before by others, it's worth listening to as opposed to just simulating.

john curl said:
In 1966, I was partially hired to my first professional job, because of my enthusiasm for computer circuit emulation. I was even put in charge of modeling the components, emulating the circuits to be simulated, and running the mainframe computer myself. I had technicians who worked under me to help keypunch the cards needed and a seasoned engineer over me (who subsequently went to Lawrence Livermore Labs). I was gung-ho for simulation, UNTIL another engineer found that the computer was giving us FAIL results when it could be proven by a simple slide rule calculation that it was impossible. At least, I LEARNED from this situation.
New and improved SPICE has the same potential limitations that we had with ECAP 40 years ago, and seasoned engineers are always laughing at those who completely depend on Spice for circuit modeling. Is this so difficult to accept?

Here we go again. Are you in some kind of time warp? You act like you are the only one who learned from the past. I have got news for you: you are not alone. You insinuate that anyone who uses SPICE nowadays does so recklessly, with total dependence on it, without consideration of its limitations. HOGWASH.

BTW, wasn't it actually Bongiorno who was first to publish and commercialize the full-complementary input differential pair?

Bob

No Bob, it was NOT Bongiorno, who first developed the complementary differential input stage. First, there was Jon Iverson of ElectroResearch and me (then designing in the Ampex audio department) who did it in 1968, quite independently of each other. We did NOT publish our efforts, because, in my case, Ampex would have patented it, and in any case, it was a trade secret.
You will find that the FIRST mention of the complementary differential input stage as an ad by Southwest Technical Products in 'The Audio Amateur' about 1972, fully 4 years after I got my amp running, and Jon Iverson has his design developed as well.
I was told by Daniel Meyer, of Southwest Technical Products, who independently developed the complementary differential input stage after we did, that HE showed it to Jim Borgiorno, when Jim Borgiorno showed him the DYNA 400 circuit that he had worked on. You should contact Daniel Meyer about this, if you wish to question this statement.
I went on to develop the self biasing complementary differential JFET input stage in 1971, and that is was I have used since 1971, to this day. I built a 2000W complementary differential power amp with balanced current outputs for Ampex research in 1969, many prototype complementary differential bipolar input power amp prototypes at Alembic Inc in 1970 for the Grateful Dead, and later in 1973, I built more power amp prototypes for the Grateful Dead using by complementary differential jfet input stages and single sided complementary jefet input stages. This is when the Levinson JC-2 was designed as well, and the patented pre-preamp input stage, the JC-1 was first introduced at the NY-AES in Oct 1973.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

This thread has caused the moderators far too much work and our patience has run out. The following actions have been taken:

This thread is being closed until further notice.
John Curl is being Sinbinned for two weeks.
Other protagonists on this thread are being investigated.

The forum is for civilized discussion and transgressions will be dealt with, regardless of who you are.

Attack ideas, not people.

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:

Status
Not open for further replies.