Audibility of output coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by john curl ....................
This reminds me of an auto design parallel:
Many years ago there was this auto designer and reviewer named Smokey Y. who even wrote books about cars and engine tuning. He could not understand why auto designers wanted to use 4 valves per cylinder, rather than the traditional 2. He really criticized the concept. What do you think about Smokey's opinion today? Was he right on? Was he right for his needs? Would 4 valves per cylinder just be a waste of effort in a '55 GM auto? Quiz on Monday. ;-)

An other red herring? BTW, I really think you are Graham II.

Cheers,

Christer said:
Perhaps the interesting question is how many other serious amp designers, except for John, skip the coil? Are we to assume that has become normal practice in state-of-the-art design, or is it only John and maybe a few others?

Netlist said:
An equally interesting question would be to know more reasons the coil has become 'démodée' apart from audibility. I could easily think of more parts that are audible.

/Hugo

Halcro uses a proper output inductor; I don't think even JC at his worst would even try to describe Halcro as "unsuccessful"in broad daylight.

I still consider it a minor liability, BUT it is only 0.5uH, AND any output wire has some inductance also.
Some people just don't want to learn something new. I don't understand it, but it does keep other major designers off this thread, since they don't want to waste their time being put down for making small improvement suggestions. Count on it.

Arguing

I'm amazed about how you guys are not able to take John's standpoint as what it is:
The experience of someone who designed and still designs successful amplifiers. And listened (well, thats the very reason why he and some others are successful, not only numbers, but _listening_).
Maybe even he is not able to explain the effect tecnically. So what? Why trying continuosly to belittle him? Why?

What are you doing in these forums? It's all done right now...low THD is already a nobrainer even for diy, and you, Mikeks, estuart, and others, are all way ahead respect to a mortal diyer. So what, 0.000...% will be an easy task for you. And if it's low THD, sonic differences seem not to exist for you, at least not if the difference is heard only by JC, CH, NP and others. So what? What are you looking for here?

Mikeks, for instance, what have you done in audio apart a paper on output protection? You don't give the impression that you have built and listened to even one amp.
You are arguing all the time that all you need is to measure, and if THD is low enough, then the amp sounds as it should, no coloration.
So what else are you looking for in these forums? It's already well possible to build an amp with 0.00....% THD, no need to look out for new designs. Just build an amp as you say, do some good R-C filtering on the VAS, tons of feedback and Error correction. It's all there.
What are you doing here, other than annoying 80% of the members? Does it make feel you like Galileo? (Your words :dead: )

And a big cheer to the mods, who rather delete posts arbitrarily (hehe Kanwar, you didn't notice it yet, he...?? Do not mention Charles Hansen again, and beware of posting a link to another forum! It will evaporate...) instead of making an end to such an annoying member with an arguing : contributing ratio of around 10'000:1.

Tino

I was trying to avoid using coils on the output of all Creek amps I've designed. The only exception was 5350 where I've used about 0.5uH on the output. All amps were stable with a pure capacitive load up to 2uF directly on the output terminals and more if there was a short lengh of wire in series with the cap. I would rather agree with John that it is better to avoid using an output coil if possible for the sound quality reason.

Alex

x-pro said:
I was trying to avoid using coils on the output of all Creek amps I've designed. The only exception was 5350 where I've used about 0.5uH on the output. All amps were stable with a pure capacitive load up to 2uF directly on the output terminals and more if there was a short lengh of wire in series with the cap. I would rather agree with John that it is better to avoid using an output coil if possible for the sound quality reason.

Alex
Hi, Alex!

Which maximum output coil inductance value may be treated as acceptable?

What are your subjective signs of "bad coil"?

anli said:
Which maximum output coil inductance value may be treated as acceptable?

What are your subjective signs of "bad coil"?

I think the only thing I am quite sure of is that from purely sound quality point of view a good coil is no coil at all :) . However it is nesessary to use it sometimes and for different reasons (stability into capacitive loads, o/p stage doesn't like RF injected into it, or to limit a short-circuit current rise speed to give protection enough time to deal with it as in Kanwar's amps) . It makes sense to build a coil if required with least distortion and other unpleasant qualities, like DC impedance etc.

Alex

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Folks, it defies common sense to suggest that a load-isolating inductor of a few uH impairs "sound quality" when connected in series with a loudspeaker system containing a passive crossover network with inductors of values in the hundreds of uH.

It is for this reason that members are urged to THINK for themselves, and not to abdicate reason on the alter of so-called "Gurus".

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john curl said:
Folks, I am trying to teach aspiring audio designers something hard learned over the decades. We don't use output coils anymore, because they are audible.
Even when we did, most people did not go beyond 2uH. Think what happens to your precious high frequency damping factor when you use a 2uH or higher output coil. Better yet, put a 2-10 uF cap as a load, and see what happens.
It used to be that output coils were considered necessary, but that is not true any longer.

Red herring #3476321

Hi John

A very high damping factor at high frequencies isn’t particularly precious. At 20 kHz, a few micro henries of output coil inductance is a rather small contribution, compared to combined affects of cable, crossover and voice coil impedances.
Also, coil ringing when driving highly capacitive loads isn’t an issue worth sweating over if the output network is properly designed with the inductor resistively damped and incorporated into/with a Zobel network.
What were you doing 30 years ago, just dangling a bare inductor behind the speaker binding posts?

john curl said:
It used to be that output coils were considered necessary, but that is not true any longer.
There may be special cases, such as class D design or making a very powerful amp for woofers only drive operation.

Do you sincerely believe that Halcro amps (a single example amongst many, many others) are only good for driving sub woofers? Or are you just making disingenuous, unsubstantiated generalisations?

Cheers,
Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.