Audibility of output coils - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

What I meant to ask is if audibility is the only reason for omitting the coil.
If it indeed is, Iím happy with the answer.

/Hugo

Old 6th May 2007, 07:59 PM   #12
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Originally posted by Netlist
---Electrolytes in the signal path?---

Above some frequencies, the parasitic inductance of electrolytics is the dominating element of the impedance. Maybe not so bad against the instrusion of RF.
The parasitic series resistance avoids a high Q resonance of the LC elements. Sometimes, a desirable feature.

Old 6th May 2007, 08:22 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You people make me laugh! This is just like high school. Maybe junior college. Please think about the problem and WHY successful audio designers, who used output coils for decades, MIGHT be inclined to not use them, when the coils potentially can add to circuit stability? Are they ugly? Are they expensive? Are they hard to make?

Old 6th May 2007, 08:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
You people make me laugh! This is just like high school. Maybe junior college. Please think about the problem and WHY successful audio designers, who used output coils for decades, MIGHT be inclined to not use them, when the coils potentially can add to circuit stability? Are they ugly? Are they expensive? Are they hard to make?

Yeah yeah, it's all marketing, I know

Jan Didden

Old 6th May 2007, 08:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Old 6th May 2007, 08:36 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I am still curious how many others, apart from John, share his opinion that the coil affects the sound and takes the consequences of it? Until John told this a while back in another thread, I don't think I had ever heard of anyone before claiming that the coil affects the sound. That is actually surprising, considering that people discuss the sound of the most absurd things (not suggesting coils should necessarily be classified as absurd). I am not intending to give any opinion here. I am just curious since Johns earliser posts seems to suggest that he is far from alone in this venture.

Old 6th May 2007, 08:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

/OT on

Christer, your bear is white...

/OT off

Old 6th May 2007, 09:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I didn't believe it at first either. I had to be shown with an A-B test. However, I NEVER used more than 2uH, and I was using less that 1uH, before I gave them up completely. However, Naim didn't use them 30 years ago, I'm pretty sure, but Naim amps were also sensitive to cable capacitance, and this could be a problem, sometimes.
Faster output devices appear to reduce the need for output coils, BUT can't you folks conceive of a 2-10uF cap load and what happens? What would the coil do with that kind of load?
This reminds me of an auto design parallel:
Many years ago there was this auto designer and reviewer named Smokey Y. who even wrote books about cars and engine tuning. He could not understand why auto designers wanted to use 4 valves per cylinder, rather than the traditional 2. He really criticized the concept. What do you think about Smokey's opinion today? Was he right on? Was he right for his needs? Would 4 valves per cylinder just be a waste of effort in a '55 GM auto? Quiz on Monday. ;-)

Old 6th May 2007, 09:01 PM   #19
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
I am still curious how many others, apart from John, share his opinion that the coil affects the sound and takes the consequences of it?

Until John told this a while back in another thread, I don't think I had ever heard of anyone before claiming that the coil affects the sound.

That is actually surprising, considering that people discuss the sound of the most absurd things (not suggesting coils should necessarily be classified as absurd).

I am not intending to give any opinion here. I am just curious since Johns earlier posts seems to suggest that he is far from alone in this venture.

Hi Christer,

JC's sweeping, anecdotal generalisations may, again, be safely ignored without any loss in sleep.

Properly sized output inductors cannot affect "sound quality". Period.

Old 6th May 2007, 09:01 PM   #20
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Subjectivist delusions?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!