150W mosfet final results

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in this post i would like to
A) thank all the guys who bother to help me out with my problems
B)post my final results
C) welcome anybody else who is willing to work with me on this one
AAAAAA--- the thanks !!!!
Dr BORA for giving me the legend 4 for free it seems that i insulted this guy in some way ( i really didnt mean to ) but it all end up that i never managed to make things work even in the relation between us or the amp itshelf

carlos destroyer x who really tryied to help me but i lost both his help and friendship cause he thinks that i insulted dr Bora

nelson pass who at least read my mail but was to busy to bother with this ( i can understand that ....it wasnt an easy thing to do ) especially for busy person like NP....i thank him for trying any way ....

andrew t who didnt like this circuit any way but his theory approach seem to have some kind of meaning .....

and many others like sixteck steven from holland .... quasi (he is also greek ) who shared with me their opinion either good or not

BBBBBBB----- the results !!!!!
with the help and opinion of all these people the results are like this
1-legend 4-8 doesnt operate as is in voltage like 60-66vdc/rail
2- it can be modified but always something will be wrong with it like to much offset ....to much idle .... ocilation les balance ...temperature ....vas currents and goes on
3- resulting also that if you tolerate one of this things the amp will NOT stand any abuse like small pa application may work in carefull use
4- and most importand in rails arround 40-50 volts amp is working more than perfect ....... except power, quality and sonics are really nice ........

CCCCCCC -------the welcome

since my original request was
1-one amp that operates at 66+66/vdc rails
2-yet simple to make
3-with soa power arround 150w ready to be both used and abused in small pa application
4-since my rails are currently 62.5+62.5 volts
5- and since i have no design skills i welcome any body who wants to help me out finish this ..to work together and come up with solid results

thank you please notice attachment of original schematic

Attachments

• legendsema.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 609
Very good Mr. Sakis... this show me once more your Spartan courage.

You impressed me very much.

A figther...someone that defends your ideas till the last minute..if someone cut you in pieces...will receive a finger when finished his job.

Send regards to Maria.

Nothing blocked anymore.... please...no more discussions.

love, comprehension, cooperation, friendship and peace brother!

regards,

Carlos

making the legend with 55+55

will bring you in to these problems

a) idle of recomended 100ma will be consumed all in vas stage and not in the all amplifier thus you will notice a bit of warm in the vas MJE340 but mosfets will run cold

b) expect ocilation coming from non existing miller cap on vas stage

c) you will probably need more than 1.5 volts to drive the amp

d) if you dont use source resistors in the out of every mosfet things are very critical ( resistors not included in original circuit)

e)with the formation of currents arrount vas and the all circuit if you abuse the amp in any way ( like trying to remove a plug while amp is operating or overdrive the input with more signal ) you are going to have your shelf a....

MOSFET BBQ!!!!!!!! BURNED MOSFETS ALL OVER

all your problems will be solved with 42+42 rails and expect arround 100W with 55+55 you can expect at least 150w but its not stable

DEAR GEMINI

in the original pcb lay out there is a drill for vas amplifier MJE 340 so this can be located orizonatlly and probably with a small heatsink ......

if you do this DO NOT !!!! use a metal screw this existing there will create even more ocilation on the vas stage better locate MJE 340 vertically or use a plastic screw ......

Attachments

• imgp0064.jpg
    imgp0064.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 679
Have you perceived any qualities in this amplifier Sakis?

I see that you have faced problems..this is clear and posted..but qualities.

Have you made some listening tests?

Other folks have listened.

I will be happy to know good things about it...i had not too much informations about positive things.

Are there more positive things to be posted too?

regards,

Carlos

quality and sonics

well listening imprsessions on a version 42+42 volts is like that

very rich in bass
effective and controlable midle its there very present but yet sweet end enough but not too much
extrimelly delicate in high rich but very very clean
also expert used the word "dark" like its very very quiet and then you can here evrything jump up ......]
very very quick and simple amp
considering the power the amplifier remains a very good piece of equipment

never problems with overheating even after hours of almost 100%power considering not really big heatsincs

a very good design i think for power up to 100W

That was good..now i have a more complete idea about the amplifier

And you are beeing a positive constructor, informing not only the bad side.... explaining problems you have faced....but also the good things about the amplifier.

Now you are a highly experienced reference to the ones want to construct..they will know clearly the things they cannot do, and what to expect, as good, from the amplifier.

This turn your thread perfect....now we know the both sides of a coin..were are the dangers and were are the pleasures resulted to construct Legend.... and this one, by Sakis.

Thank you Sakis,

regards,

Carlos

legend 8

that i ve made is the exact same thing but with total of 8 mosfets extremelly good construction very low offset and has all the goodies of legend 4 but with a good power suply can really drive difficult loads with Z of 4ohms with no problems

then of course rails were 45+45 volts and also miller cap of 56 pf was added in vas stage plus non inductive resistors for the out of every mosfet

if didnt have all these situations at high rail voltage we talk about a monster that could easilly produce 250W of solid power at some 60-70 volts per rail ......

so help me out ha ha ha power versus quality divided from stability way to many mathematics !!!!!!

The old discussion...the one that born before..if the chicken or if the Egg.

Those circuits were made almost the same period of time...and the designers, those days, alike now a days, were influenced by new ideas alike we have CCS, Mirrors, Current Sinks...over current protectors...error corrections...field effect transistors and so on.

I have in my belief that Nelson did not made copy..also that Bora did not made copy.... both were following the "tendences"... the fashion of electronic designs that were dominating those ancient times.

2 designers, in the same day, living in different places, can have almost the same insigth...as those things are in reality small variations over the same theme.

Do not worry too much with brands...this is a human research result.... in the reality not Pass or Bora's circuit...this one is
Sakis tweaked circuit..inspired in Bora's Legend.

Now a days, everybody is kissing more and loving more.... you do that and i do too...and you did not discovered that this is good ahead of me...maybe at the same time.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.