Replacing main filter caps, need to re-bias?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I replaced/upgraded all the 'lytics in my BK ST140.
But for the big filter caps, I used 22,000uf per rail, replacing the old 17,000uf ones.

Would this call for re-biasing the amp ?
It sounds excellent now, btw. But it did before as well !!

after pics..:
DSCN2072.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Midiot/DSCN2065.jpg

=FB=

K-amps said:
Jan's right... Always good to check bias.

22mF is a big cap... needs a bypass. Did you bypass it with smaller caps? Usually a good idea.

No bypass caps yet.
1 uf maybe?
I have many values sitting around. (films)

I'm new at Power Amps.....I will search on how-to check an amp's bias.
If you have a favorite link...? (ths amp has easy-to-reach trim caps, so I assume this is not too hard.)

Thanks,

=RR=

Merely changing PS filter caps isn't going to affect the bias one way or the other. The two are independent.

Nothing wrong with checking the bias provided you know how it is supposed to be done for your particular amp. If you are not sure about how to perform this I suggest you abide by the rule "do no harm". and leave it alone.

Please don't be offended by the above if you really DO KNOW how to set the bias. It's just that there seem to be so many folks who are driven to compulsive madness by the sight of an untouched trim pot.

Merely changing PS filter caps isn't going to affect the bias one way or the other. The two are independent.

Nothing wrong with checking the bias provided you know how it is supposed to be done for your particular amp. If you are not sure about how to perform this I suggest you abide by the rule "do no harm". and leave it alone.

Please don't be offended by the above if you really DO KNOW how to set the bias. It's just that there seem to be so many folks who are driven to compulsive madness by the sight of an untouched trim pot.

All very good points here....

Sometimes a bias pot that hasn't been touched in years will go full tilt when you try to adjust it. Many years ago I learned after rebuilding an amplifier to replace the bias pot because it isn't expensive and by replacing it you can safeguard the work that you have done. I learned the hard way when the bias went full on and my handywork was destroyed in heartbeat. This also brings into play the importance of a variac and a lightbulb in the AC feed.

Simple rule to follow in electronics...If you don't know how to do something seek the help of a knowledgeable person to guide and help you learn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.