G&W 2006TX PreAmp upgrade • Rice Inside •

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellows!
I've been enjoying very much my CDP upgarde, my tuner upgrade/fix, my previous amp upgrade; it's time for the new one!
Here are the commerical pics:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My setup; you can see all my stuff!

Datasheet says:
Input sensitivity: 350mV.
Output 2×100W(RMS 8Ω ).
THD 0.01%(50W 8Ω 1KHz).
S/N: 98.8dB.
Frequency response: 6Hz-78KHz(-3dB).
Nothing very impressive but it does make more music than my Arcam.

Now our work: improve the preamp part; here is a big pic of it.

What about the NE5532? I've many LM4562, AD8599, OPA2132 and many more in hands (CDP upgarde...). Is this opamp (wich was never in question with the CDP so I don't know it at all) worth change it? Silmic around, maybe some BG do better here? The 79/7815 may be changed for super-regs? The PSU Rubycon VR changed for ZL/ZLH? anything else you can see? Maybe look under for decoupling caps?
Let's go!

The text was too long, had to make an answer to give you the "real" specs:
...for the ones who may find something understandable... (maybe some software can translate?)

G&W世纪版TW-2006X型
合并式放大器的性能特点及技术指标
迄今为止,早在1989年由吴刚工程师设计的QV-1000A型全MOSFET(场效应管)功率放大器,作为音响行业中全MOSFET管功放的首创设计,被发表在1989年第10期的《无线电》杂志上,并由清华大学生产,提供给广大发烧友。直到获奖产品TW-200LM型合并式放大器的出现,均深受广大音响爱好者的好评。
近两年来,清华大学制造工程研究所推出的产品有: TW-200MK II型合并式放大器;TW-F600型、TW-F600SE型及TW-F660SE型MOSFET合并式放大器; TW-A1SE型甲类耳机放大器;TW-02DX、TW-02DMKⅡ、TW-03D、TW-05D型电源净化器等产品,均深受广大音响爱好者的好评。特别是新推出的TW-A1.1SE型极品FET单端甲类前级放大器;TW-A8SE型极品单端甲类功率放大器;T-2A、T-2.1A型单端甲类电子管耳机放大器,在发烧友当中影响极大,并纷纷被香港、台湾、德国、美国、韩国等国的发烧友所订购,已经出现供不应求的局面。为了迎合广大资深发烧友的要求,我们推出了具有高品位的最新世纪版TW-2006X型2×100W合并式功率放大器,将把G&W精品功放推向新的高峰。
一、 TW-2006X型合并式放大器
经过一年多的研制,我们推出了最新世纪版TW-2006X型2×100W合并式功率放大器。该功放全面吸取当代国外顶尖功放的发烧理念,采用G& W新研究开发的无失真前级放大电路及低失真三级达林顿推挽输出级电路,精心设计的又一款精品合并式功放。它体现了清华爱乐人对音乐的执着追求。它具有输出功率大,推动力强,音场宽阔宏大纵深感好,结像力强,音像定位准确,解析力超凡入圣,泛音极丰富音色自然、具有胆机韵味等特点。推动力大而同时保持细致耐听的音质而得到发烧友的认可,推动低灵敏度音箱也运用自如,能量感源源不断,使您有身临其境的美好感觉。
二、TW-2006X性能特点:
☆前级采用无失真电压放大
☆ 采用JFET场效应管差分输入
☆ 采用两极点补尝网络
☆ 采用低失真三级达林顿推挽输出级
☆ 采用英国NOVER电解电容作电源滤波
☆ 采用优质进口铁芯400W环形变压器
☆ 采用220mm长专业散热器
☆ 采用日本ALPS电位器
☆ 采用双面70m厚铜薄电路板
☆ 采用东芝2SC5200/2SA1943大功率管八只输出
☆ 采用8mm厚铝拉丝面板
☆ 内部工艺国内一流,极具发烧理念
☆ 具有全功能开机延时、输出短路过流、中点直流偏移等完善保护电路
三、TW-2006X整机实测技术指标:
1. 输入灵敏度:350mV
2. 输出功率:2×100W(RMS,8Ω )
3. 谐波失真:0.01%(50W,8Ω,1KHz)
4. 信 噪 比:98.8dB(不计权)
5. 频率响应:6Hz~78KHz(-3dB)
四、整机校声所用器材
1. CD唱机:菲利浦(philips)LHH-500型顶级CD唱机:18000元/台。
2. 解码器:英国dpa:The dpm one:7000元/台。
3. 音箱:意大利傲霸卡拉丝:16000元/对。
4. 喇叭线:美国音乐丝带Super Flatine Cable:3500元/对。
5. 信号线:高度风Ortofon AC-5000 8N无氧铜线:1500元/对。
6. 电源线:日立4N单晶铜3×3.5mm2 硅橡胶电源线:680元/条。
7. 音频专用电源净化器:G&W TW-05D型,
带负载功率:3300W/220V:680元/台。

Malefoda said:
Hi fellows!

Nothing very impressive but it does make more music than my Arcam.

Now our work: improve the preamp part;

What about the NE5532? I've many LM4562, AD8599, OPA2132 and many more in hands (CDP upgarde...). Is this opamp (wich was never in question with the CDP so I don't know it at all) worth change it? Silmic around, maybe some BG do better here? The 79/7815 may be changed for super-regs? The PSU Rubycon VR changed for ZL/ZLH? anything else you can see? Maybe look under for decoupling caps?
Let's go!

Hi Matthieu,

Your new amp looks nice. The NE5532 is basically the same chip as the JRC2114 as found in the CD53/63/67. The LM4562 sounds good as a preamp to my ears, perhaps better than it does in the cd player. The OPA2132 is easier to live with but hides detail. Again you're going to want to install a socket and just try a few!

If those regs are powering the op-amp which works as preamp then they can be upgraded with reasonable gains. I put Brent's (albeit expensive) regs in my preamp and enjoyed great results: very much all-round improvements.

The super low impedance caps might not sound best next to the op-amps. Many would prefer something like an Elna Cerafine. Black Gate FK would probably be best. I'd not take any Silmics out, as we know they're good! They only come out of the CD63 because they're completely unnecessary for most people and are in the signal path.

Anything wrong with the sound as it is by the way? Or are you just after general improvements?

Regards
Simon

Hi Simon!
Thanks for havin' a look :)
In fact I have the left socket from my Tentlabs' XO, will use it there. And yes I remember you had good result with the LM4562 in your preamp. Will have tries then ;)
For caps it's ok, I will stick to the Silmic for years then.
In fact the only small problem is that earth is wired at least to chassis and some of the PCB and I have no earth in my wall plugs. And it acts -a bit- like an antenna: when rise (a lot far from normal) volume I can hear some humming when touch the chassis!
And for the last question it sounds very good, bass are very well hold and deep. My Arcam sounds a bit dull beside and very bad in the bass area. I've bought it as I knew it was very good for the price. It's often compared with the best stuff around 1000/1300€, wich match my CD53 level now.

So for now: socket and LM4562 & friends tries, (AD8599 in the CDP)
for after (long cold winter nights...) super regs and for the CDP also (only Raygs). Maybe pack of cone feet to come.

Thanks Simon ;)

I've found a new problem beside de chassis' rust, when I fit back the hood it hums!
It seems the sound is coming from beside the TX or the big rectifiers/10.000µF caps. It seems also to hum with waves, like 1 second MMMmmm... MMMMmmm...
When I lift the hood at the front it's dead quiet! When on and press everywhere to check where it vibrates from no effect. Chassis is liked to earth and to the PCB, so is this can act like an antenna or such? The fact is that all this is connected to nothing as the earth in the plug find nothing in the wall...
Also, is it a problem to use it with the lid open all the time? Dust is the only one I see...

Thanks!

Is the hum through the speakers or purely from the amp's physical location? I guess from your description it's the latter. It's possible the transformer is cheaply made or got knocked in transit. Toroids shouldn't hum.

People often leave the lid off their amp or cd player, believing the sound is better. Just watch the kids near it! ;)

Simon

Here is the translation

Malefoda said:
The text was too long, had to make an answer to give you the "real" specs:
...for the ones who may find something understandable... (maybe some software can translate?)

But there are lots mistakes

G& W century version X TW-2006 type
The function characteristics and technique index sign of the merger type enlarger
Up to the present, as early as in 1989 from Wu the engineer just designs of A QV-1000 type the whole MOSFETses(field effect tube) power enlarger Be the whole MOSFET tube ¹¦ to put in the stereo set profession of found a design, the disheveled hair form is in 1989 Issue 10s of ¡¶wireless ¡·magazine up, and is produce by the Chin Hua university, provide to large develop a fever friend.Until get the prize product LM TW-200 type the emergence of the merger type enlarger, be subjected to the good opinion of the large stereo set fancier all and deeply.
Be close to two in the last yearses, the product that the Chin Hua university manufacturing engineering release when study have: The MK TW-200 II type the merger type enlarger;The TW-F600 typeses,the type of TW-F600 SEs and the TW-F660 SE type MOSFET merger type enlarger; The TW-A1 SE type A headphones enlarger;DXs TW-02s,DMK TW-02 ¢òs,Ds TW-03s,D TW-05 type the power supply decontamination machine etc. product, be subjected to the good opinion of the large stereo set fancier all and deeply.TW-A1 released especially and lately.The 1 SE type the best FET list carry ex- class enlarger of A;The TW-A8 SE type the best list carry A power enlarger;The As T-2s,A T-2.1 type lists carry the AN electronics tube headphones enlarger, being develop a fever in the middle influence of friend biggest, and in succession was develop a fever by Hong Kong,Taiwan,Germany,the United States,Korean etc. country friend order, have already appeared the situation of the supply falls short of demand.For cater to large and experienced develop a fever the request of the friend, we released to have the latest century version X TW-2006 type of the high personal status 2 ¡Ás 100 W merger type power enlarger, will put the G& W exquisite article ¹¦ to push toward new high peak.
A, X TW-2006 type the merger type enlarger
Pass by more than a years develop, we released a latest century a version X TW-2006 type 2 ¡Ás 100 W merger type power enlarger.That ¹¦ puts to absorb foreign top ¹¦ of contemporary to put completely of develop a fever principle, adopt G& W to study a development lately of do not lose really ex- class to enlarge electric circuit and low lose really x-rated reach LIN2 DUN4 to push the Íì output stage electric circuit, design with meticulous care of and then an exquisite article merger the type ¹¦ put.Its body now the Chin Hua love joy person to music of persist to pursue.It has power of exportation big, the motivation is strong, the sound field the spacious and great ×Ý feel keenly good, the knot is like dint strong, the sound is like a fixed position accurate, analyze dint to enter sainthood, be suffused with a sound to enrich tone color very much nature,have the µ¨ machine lingering charm etc. characteristics.The motivation keeps delicacy to bear to hear greatly and in the meantime of sound quality and get approbation of develop a fever the friend, push a low and intelligent degree, the sound box also makes use of from such as, the energy feeling makes you pregnant to face the fine felling of its ¾³ constantly and continuously.
Two,X TW-2006 function characteristics:
The class adoption didn't lose true electric voltage to enlarge before the ¡î
¡î Adoption JFET field the effect tube differ to input separately
The ¡î adopts two extremities to repair to taste a network
The ¡î adoption is low to lose really x-rated reach LIN2 DUN4 to push Íì output stage
The ¡î adopts the British NOVER electrolysis electric capacity to make power supply
The ¡î adoption superior quality imports the 400 W RING form transformer of
The ¡î adopts long profession of 220 mms to spread a hot machine
The ¡î adopts a Japanese ALPS electric potential machine
The ¡î adoption is two-sided 70UMthick copper circuit board
The ¡î adoption Toshiba 2 SC5200s/2 SA1943s OUTPUT
¡î adopts thick aluminum of 8 mms to pull silk front-panel
¡î The internal craft domestic is top-grade, having the principle of develop a fever very much
When ¡î had whole functionses to switch on to postpone,output short circuit over flow,the middle point direct current was partial to move etc. was perfect to protect electric circuit
Three,Xs TW-2006 the whole machine measures technique index sign actually:
1. Input :350mV
2. Output power:2 ¡Ás 100 Ws(RMS, 8 ¦¸s)
3. The THD:0.01%(50 Ws, 8 ¦¸s, 1 KHz)
4. SNR:98.8 dBs
5. The frequency respond to:The 6 Hz ¡« 78 KHzs(-3 dBs)

Ok I've checked the live/neutral of the amp, I mean used the tips wich is check AC voltage between an RCA plug at its ground and me. It shows 4V in one way (as it's wired) and 1V in the other way, wich will be the new one as soon as I'll get some stuff to protect the wires after it's soldered (you know stuff you warm and get smaller...).
I need to find some tools to remove the TX, strange size (bolt of 14).
Sound changed as I've first changed the NE5532 to the LM4562 (seems to be more air in there), but a big change happened when I've changed my CDP opamps (AD8599) AND plug it with the right L/N way: massive bass!
Some other things I'm talking about in the CDP topic (check 1st message up here).

I have read the opamp's voltage regulators are 7815 and 7915 and I kwon the 5532 datasheet. I think that you could try to connect a 2.2k 5% 1/4 W resistor, between the out pin and the ground pin, on the voltages regulators. These resistances make to work the regolators with a smaller distortion when they work with the 5532. I council you to replace the 5532 with the world famous BB opa2604, used on top equipments. The resistances could be connecting also with the 2604. I council you to try the resistances with the 5532 and after to make the substitution with the 2604.

OPA2604 is really a good OP

ppa said:
I have read the opamp's voltage regulators are 7815 and 7915 and I kwon the 5532 datasheet. I think that you could try to connect a 2.2k 5% 1/4 W resistor, between the out pin and the ground pin, on the voltages regulators. These resistances make to work the regolators with a smaller distortion when they work with the 5532. I council you to replace the 5532 with the world famous BB opa2604, used on top equipments. The resistances could be connecting also with the 2604. I council you to try the resistances with the 5532 and after to make the substitution with the 2604.

The OPA2604AP ,which can work at +/-24V sound pretty good!

:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.