diyAudio (
-   Solid State (
-   -   schematic question (

impsick 25th April 2007 07:59 AM

schematic question
2 Attachment(s)
when you see this type of pot on a schematic how do you determine what goes where? like V+goes to what pin, signal goes to what pin?

this is the treshold control on a compressor. also by the cw(which im guessing is clockwise??) was a little circle with a line accross the middle of it.

sorry for the newb question but thanks.

cliffforrest 25th April 2007 08:24 AM

Almost invariably a pot will have three connections. The centre one will go to the "wiper" of the resistive track or output connection.

The outer connections go to the ends of the resistive track. Which one goes to + and which to - is arbitrary, but it effects whether the pot is turned cw or ccw (counterclockwise).

The circle/bar is a symbol for screwdriver adjustment.

If there is a convention, cw should be used to make something "bigger" (higher gain, more positive etc) but often it is juat a question of pcb layout convenience!

It is very easy to check all of this with an ohm-meter and pot out of circuit.

impsick 25th April 2007 09:01 AM

ok, yeah makes sense. i havent done anything besides the simple volume pot on an input of an amp. thanks.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio