CAD/CAM for CNC router

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of getting a CNC router for speeding up cabinet making and doing exotic stuff like carving waveguides - has anyone got experience of any CAD/CAM systems for the design/front end please? CAD software varies so much IMHO, from amazingly intuitive and quick to so cumbersome it's completely self-defeating and makes me lose the will to live.

I did have a small CNC machine myself, and have worked with CAD SWs for years, which CAD to use comes down to which one you feel more comfortable with, I used to work with Solidworks and for me nothing else could beat that, very easy to learn and work, and not much complicated designs like speaker cabinets ( compare to moving parts machinery) is way to easy with solidworks, and as for CAM i used to work with MasterCam, not the easiest one but it will get the job done alright. for 2D cuts Mastercam is way to easy to work with.

Last edited:
+1 for the Fusion 360.

I've moved to use that almost exclusively now as having an integrated CAD/CAM can save so much hassle of exporting/importing files. Finding out what setting for DXF work for which CAM etc etc.

I also have Vectric Vcarve Pro and Filou NC.

Vectric has a nice and simple GUI and allows many 2.5D operations optimized for woodworking and cabinet making. 3D operations are much more limited compared to F360

Filou NC is a pure 2.5D CAM. It does nice job on some things and sometimes helps fix some DXF files etc. But if one draws in F360 and does CAM in F360 the flow is still much simpler.

So with all of the 2.5D and 3D capabilites F360 CAM has it is hard to beat, especially for the price of free for hobby use.

Thanks for the suggestions peeps. Unfortunately being cloud based, I don't think Fusion 360 is really a viable proposition here, available internet connection is just too slow and unreliable. I think I'll give Vectric a go, they have the advantage of being in the same country/time zone and seem fairly helpful, and their products whilst not free aren't unreasonably priced.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
CNC Router

Recently I bought a “3018CNC” router and have been familiarizing myself with it and the Raspberry Pi 4b.
I too have been looking for software to ease the task of making a tube amp chassis- the aluminum plate and carbide bits are ready.
The problem right now is to find software to design laying out dimensions in 2D or 3D so I can cut circles and squares in the aluminum plate.
Anyone else use CNC ? What software (preferably free) do you use ?
The CNC I have is connected VIA USB port, by using the Raspberry Pi, it can go through the process without tying up my PowerBook. I no have Windows
Thank you for your help

Recently I bought a “3018CNC” router and have been familiarizing myself with it and the Raspberry Pi 4b.
I too have been looking for software to ease the task of making a tube amp chassis- the aluminum plate and carbide bits are ready.
The problem right now is to find software to design laying out dimensions in 2D or 3D so I can cut circles and squares in the aluminum plate.
The CNC I have is connected VIA USB port, by using the Raspberry Pi, it can go through the process without tying up my PowerBook. I no have Windows
Thank you for your help

Busy now with a cnc for pcb routing, a lot of work and need for precize work.

I use pressed wood, waterresistent and stif enough for pcb.

Rails are a little overdue but had not something smaller.

regards

Attachments

• DSCN3973.JPG
    DSCN3973.JPG
    522.5 KB · Views: 160
Thank you for your help

I think FreeCAD is pretty much your only option on an RPi4:

FreeCAD >> Raspberry Pi Geek

Looks very good, but if you have the possibility, take laminated wood. MDF pressed wood is not very durable, even under moderate pressure.

I have the version of mdf who is water resistent, these are quite good, but the machine is for trying out, when i like it, I go for better stuff, the mechanics is a lot ,more easy as the electronics.

I have however some trouble so now and then when measuring, because things need precise, I have now use sketchup, making a precise drillplan for the rails but printing with sketchup is a dramatic difficult to get right, I sill understand not why she did that this way in there software.

What kind of laminated wood is oke?, I have use in past the waterresistant version for the house builders. Afcourse aluminium is better, now the lathe is setup I can make a spindel, I have paired bearings special for spindels for 50 euro a set. That is quite cheap.

I had see a spindel on ebay who did use a beld, I can not find the ad for it and the spindel anymore.

regards

Last edited:
Here is a store who have this pressed laminated wood, but I think when it will do well, I go for metal like aluminium and a new design, using the same rails, need a ballscrew for the Z axle, becouse of weight total spendel and house system.

Here I am further with the design, get things drilled precisely did ask for sketchup on 0.000 mm setup to make a mold on paper for them, did work fine..

Attachments

• DSCN3993.JPG
    DSCN3993.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN3997.jpg
    DSCN3997.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 76
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN3994.JPG
    DSCN3994.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 87
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.