Linux woes thread split..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/323891-8-inch-woofer-waw-3.html#post5463648

I've got several problems with what I'm trying to acomplish with a particular distro: Stretchdog.

Stretchdog is debian live (from system memory). I'd like to get it stable and with the applications I want - to use it as a VM server (..with Qemu), and then "remaster it" with those applications.

I can't even get past 3 errors I'm getting on an "Update" from Synaptic (package manager), one of which is an error with xserver. xserver keeps droping to the command line and I can't get back the gui without restarting the system (..having almost no ability with linux and the command line).

-so wine is a bit premature for me at this point. (..and ideally I'd be using a windows virtual machine from Qemu, so the need for wine would be moot.) :eek:

I would recommend you to ask this question on Linux forum.
But you definitely need to give more information.

What GPU do you have?
How much memory do you have? Is it almost all used before starting Synaptic?
What error exactly do you get?

You could probably get back to GUI by running "startx" from command line.

Thanks Lightbit. :)

-I wasn't really trying to get help here, it was just to explain why I wasn't using wine to use various windows modeling programs (..without choking a thread on another tangent).

These are the errors I get on Synaptic's update:

E: udev: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: xserver-xorg-core: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: initramfs-tools: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

..once xserver craps-out again I can write down the error I get from it and reply back here again. I'll look into starx again and try that when it happens.

GPU - Skylake iGPU (..though I've got a 1060 for pass-through for the windows machine once that's up.)

System Memory: 64 gig of ecc (..on a server board, verified working as ecc). :)

These are the errors I get on Synaptic's update:

E: udev: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: xserver-xorg-core: dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
E: initramfs-tools: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
You can try running "apt-get update" and than "apt-get dist-upgrade" instead of using Synaptic (it isn't maintained anymore).

..once xserver craps-out again I can write down the error I get from it and reply back here again. I'll look into starx again and try that when it happens.

GPU - Skylake iGPU (..though I've got a 1060 for pass-through for the windows machine once that's up.)
I had many problems with my Skylake. Newer firmware and newer GPU drivers should help.
I would try upgrading BIOS (if you did not already). Try installing firmware-linux-nonfree or even better try different distribution with newer kernel. 4.9 is kinda old.

System Memory: 64 gig of ecc (..on a server board, verified working as ecc). :)
I would say you are not running out of memory.

Last edited:
I updated the bios - OMG, the computer kept turning itself off and on again - scared me. :eek: (..it might have been the CPU "patches".)

But it works.. and still gave me the same problems, BUT I tried the newer Ubuntu version (where no previous Ubuntu would work), and it seems to be working so far! :)

Now I just have to learn how to remaster the distro to my liking.

Thank you! :)

Upgrading BIOS is very scary indeed. But it is increasingly more required.

Old software doesn't work good on new hardware.

I'm glad Ubuntu works for you (it caused many problems to me, but I didn't use it since 8.10).
You can also try openSUSE or Fedora and then decide which is closer to your liking. Debian is great, if you don't have new hardware or need new software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.