Any Audio Editing Tool other then Adobe Audition CC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I second reaper. It is as full featured as any professional tool including protools and audition, has recently even gotten spectral editing features, advanced routing, plugin support etc. I use it for mixing and mastering. It is free to try and they only ask you pay the 60-ish euro price if you like it and plan to keep using it. Strongly recommended.

Bit Depth - Audacity Wiki

Seems like there have been a few changes since that claim about Audacity was made.

Two mods here have sent me files recently they were not 24 bit and they were even brick walled at 22.05kHz. You can also be fooled by post-facto dither applied at 24bit levels to 16bit data. You need to examine the histogram around 0 and the spectrum. 24/96 has a smooth histogram and a 48kHz BW.

Please remember we are talking Windows here.

EDIT - The only software that works (under Win) AFAIK use paid for ASIO drivers or had the savvy to compile 24 bit ASIO support into their programs. ARTA works fine with an ASUS Xonar, Soundblaster, or Scarlet 2i2. They all fail under Audacity and Win 10. Things seem to have changed a little though, the audio settings tool under the latest upgrade no longer lets you set any resolutions that won't work.

Last edited:
I have to correct what I said above, if you have a device that supports WASAPI it possibly works with Audacity if that option is not greyed out. I've spent so much time trying to get sound playing and recording to work in Python that I have not checked every few months to see if things have been fixed with other software.

Even so the behavior using a USB Soundblaster card is all over the place, setting 24/48 looks like it maybe is OK but 24/96 goes back to brickwalled at 22.05k with a funky looking histogram. None of these situations flag the user that they might not be getting what they expect. YMMV.

I rather like GoldWave, which is a commercial product with free trial period. It is rather primitive compared to some other tools and, hence, relatively easy to use. I particularly like its expression evaluator and its moving spectrum window. A disadvantage is that it requires Wine to run under Linux.

Even so the behavior using a USB Soundblaster card is all over the place, setting 24/48 looks like it maybe is OK but 24/96 goes back to brickwalled at 22.05k with a funky looking histogram. None of these situations flag the user that they might not be getting what they expect. YMMV.

@Scott.

Basically the functionality of the soundcards is the cause of either a true 24bit recording or a 16bit recording. If the operator of the equipment doesn't understand the settings then you get what you put in. Good old garbage in and garbage out.

Anything that is working over USB is a toss up as to what will come in or out. To many possible ways of making garbage through the USB port unless there is great co-ordination between the software developers and the hardware developers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.