Help with REW setup on Debian?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a Umik-1 and have installed REW.

REW recognized the mic and prompted me to load the calibration file, which worked fine.

I'm using Debian on an old desktop, it has Intel integrated sound, and my system uses alsamixer.

I can not seem to get REW to send sound to the proper output.

My physical setup: usb mic>usb input on PC>line out from PC >amplifier>speaker to test.

I seem to have alsamixer setup properly - at least I can play an mp3 file from the terminal with mpg123 and hear it from the speaker under test.

But using REW generator I hear nothing. Same for using REW "check levels" under preferences>soundcard.

I have attached screen captures to show the preferences setup. Can someone help? I've never used this type software before.

Thanks,
Keith

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I do have PulseAudio. Using it I can play an mp3 with Rhythmbox, but still nothing from REW.

REW shows 4 output devices, I tried them all.

Since I had no luck with that, I thought I'd try installing Oracle Java (I generally use OpenJDK), but that didn't install properly so I deleted it. However, after that, now when I invoke REW I get an error message, shown in the attached photo.

Thanks for responding. Yea, I've had a lot of frustration trying to get REW to work _properly_ with Debian... might be as you say the version of java. I actually couldn't get Oracle Java to install properly, I find the instructions confusing... so I was attempting to use it with OpenJDK (?) which is the default, and no luck. I went around in circles trying to determine if my problem was software or my jig or my confusion with Linux sound system (alsa vs pulseaudio and selecting the correct inputs and outputs) that I gave up and have ordered DATS V2 and will use it with a windows box... I hate it when I feel coerced to use a Windows product simply because I can't get my linux system to work as intended, and there are so few audio products (and support) for linux... So now when the DATS V2 arrives I will attempt to stablise a Windows system enough to learn the basics of REW, then later make a second attempt to get it working with my Debian system.

i would not use debian as a starter or if the box is no server :/ better start with ubuntu, their software catalog is more up to date, but its your choice for sure.

also test your alsa setup with speaker-test (package is called alsa-utils or alsa-tools, i forgot).

always look up your real device names with aplay -l and aplay -L . you can use this alsa specific output in the rew device settings.

try starting rew in the shell, you might see some important output.

greets,

Thanks guys.

Hi Michael- I don't wish to run WINE.

@ keantoken- That soundcard reference may come in handy :)

I tried three different linux boxes I own, and each one had some type of issue- partly, I'm unfamiliar with soundcard access under Linux, and partly (likely) a java complication. During the next few weeks I will try again, and hopefully someone will be able to help me when I have a more specific line of questioning...

Also, I did finally get REW working on a Windows box, but it gave me weird info (using jig for T/S parameters), so I think I have more experimenting with the setup yet to come...

You can't use ALSA and Pulseaudio at the same time. Accessing ALSA with REW probably won't work if Pulseaudio is installed. Instead it is better to go through Pulseaudio. Open Pulseaudio Volume Control (hopefully Ubuntu has a decent one) and change the settings to select which input/outputs to use as default. This will determine what hardware is used when you select "default" setting in REW or anything else using Pulseaudio. This is sort of a new paradigm in Linux; to control audio streams through the mixer rather than through the application preferences.

For Pulseaudio to find device names and info use

pactl list sinks
pactl list sources

To get access details for your sound output stream (whatever is being sent to your soundcard):

pactl list sink-inputs

Likewise for recording streams:

pactl list source-outputs

In my experience Ubuntu's heavy scripting usually ends up interfering with what I want to do, or is not compatible with something I need. Debian can usually be made compatible with something.

Thank you! Those details are very helpful. Until last week I had never heard of pactl.

I had tried it with Alsa first, without PulseAudio loaded, at least for one of my attempts.

It's been confusing for me. Evidently, I need both Alsa and PulseAudio loaded at the same time (for different stuff on my system), so maybe I don't know exactly what "You can't use ALSA and Pulseaudio at the same time" means. You aren't suggesting that I unload Alsa, are you? Seems there are a lot of hooks to Alsa in my systems.

I have never really paid much attention to soundcards or sound related software in the past, and really, I don't want to go very deep down that rabbit hole... I just want it to work so I can reliably get T/S parameters.

ALSA is the hardware-level drivers. Pulseaudio connects to ALSA and performs all the mixing and OS integration functions. There is no reason to unload ALSA unless you decide to use OSS instead (hoo boy). But if you want to use ALSA directly, you need to unload Pulseaudio, because Pulseaudio prevents anything else from using ALSA (if you find an exception then go ahead, but usually that is the case).

I will say, one of the things I like about Linux is being able to use Baudline.

That seems like a red herring to me (LOTS of those in Linux). I haven't needed to install any Java stuff that's not already in the Debian repos. I use openjdk-8-jre and openjdk-8-jre-headless (and uninstall any newer versions). You may need to enable the non-free and other sections of the repo.

For one thing, you need the JRE, not the JDK. The JDK is for Java programmers. The JRE is the part that runs Java programs.

Also the first link is from 2014, 4 years is a long time for Linux.

Last edited:
at the start of a linux journey i think a lot of people install, reinstall and destroy their system..
i think the only thing you need to know when trying something out as a beginner is HOW can i revert that and WHAT is the thing i'm installing doing .

@3ll3d00d: great stuff going on in the "klippel on the shoestring" thread with dr. geddes!
do some google cardboard code gg

@keithostertag: if you do pactl shell stuff always append "short" to your command line. the long output is way too irritating for most of the basic routing stuff.
just because alsa is so complicated and to see if the interfacing works i asked if you hear something with "speaker-test". you basically work from the buttom to the top. the problem about using alsa alone is that in most situations alsa reserves the device for itself. because of that people also use pulse. you can can always take a look with
Code:
lsof /dev/snd/pcm*
or
Code:
fuser -fv /dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*
whether the device is busy or not. when you only do rew on this machine alsa is good enough, if not you need a proxy like pulse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.