Help with REW setup on Debian?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That seems like a red herring to me (LOTS of those in Linux). I haven't needed to install any Java stuff that's not already in the Debian repos. I use openjdk-8-jre and openjdk-8-jre-headless (and uninstall any newer versions). You may need to enable the non-free and other sections of the repo.

For one thing, you need the JRE, not the JDK. The JDK is for Java programmers. The JRE is the part that runs Java programs.

Also the first link is from 2014, 4 years is a long time for Linux.
Definitely not a fishy post :)

The Oracle JDK is recommended by the REW author for REW on linux so if you have a problem using openjdk (which the OP appears to have) then one shouldn't be surprised if the first response is "are you using the recommended JDK?"

The instructions in those links remain accurate and provide the means to get the oracle jdk in debian with just a few commands (and to keep it updated) and without needing to build your own.

There is absolutely no problem installing a JDK instead of a JRE given that one of the components of a JDK is a JRE. A JDK will use a bit more disk space which seems unlikely to be a problem.

I don't think OpenJDK is problem (it is basically the same thing).

OpenJDK has a bit confusing name, it is not necessary full JDK, you can install OpenJDK runtime only.

It mostly works for me on Fedora (also Debian) with OpenJDK 8, once you find correct input.

Probably the problem is somewhere in PulseAudio, ALSA or sound card drivers. I have noticed PulseAudio simply does not like some applications (it crashes).

I stand corrected.

Starting from the bottom up makes sense. You can do

cat /proc/asound/cards

To get the list of cards ALSA uses. This will tell you if ALSA is not detecting some hardware you have. You can also do stuff like this to get information about ALSA streams, whether they are playing, their samplerate, etc:

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/*
cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/*
cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm2c/sub0/*
cat /proc/asound/card2/pcm0p/sub0/*
cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0c/sub0/*
cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm2c/sub0/*
cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm2p/sub0/*

Since I'm no Linux wiz I have to manually look through those directories to find out which ones are actually present and use the previous command to figure out which stream goes with my card, whether it's an input or output... There is an arcane Linux sound mailing list somewhere where all this is discussed, but it is the only place anyone bothers to talk about it. It seems a great deal of effort goes into not having to do this kind of crap, but I always find myself scanning through the 3rd page of Google anyways because something is always broken.

How install MPD package without pulsaudio

Hi!
I lazy to compile MPD and want install MPD package without pulsaudio on Debian 10. I have ARM Beaglebone Black C.
Who know maybe the command with necessary install keys can help?
apt install --no-install-recommends --no-install-suggests mpd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.