Pls suggest a simple simulation tool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to simulate a network of stepped capacitors and derive SPL and phase response of drivers for a line array? Is there any simple (free) simulation tool that can help me model it. I need to get SPL and phase of each driver when a sine wave is given as input assuming all drivers are simple resistors (or maybe resistors in series with inductor).
Pls suggest something that has small learning curve.

Thanks.
WonderfulAudio

Tried a 3 component network. Got the SPL (current thru R1 and R2). How do I plot the phase of currents thru them? :confused:

Attachments

• xsim.jpg
    xsim.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 122
Could you draw example schematic of the most complex crossover connection with all drivers you are planning?

Some simulators are able to show acoustical phase response of all individual drivers or driver groups. Drivers in each groups can be connected in series, parallel or 2||2 but number of groups might be limited within one way.

XSim is able to show acoustic phase of each driver. Add all drivers, components and wiring to the schema. Then load frequency and impedance responses for each driver. Finally select Curves -> S1, S2, ... from menu of Frequency response window. Check show with phase curve. That's it.

Could you draw example schematic of the most complex crossover connection with all drivers you are planning?

Some simulators are able to show acoustical phase response of all individual drivers or driver groups. Drivers in each groups can be connected in series, parallel or 2||2 but number of groups might be limited within one way.

You read my mind. Thanks.

I dont have any crossover in mind yet but wanted a way to frequency taper an array and 3 component network was a starting point to learn the simulation tool and SPL/phase change at each component. I had thought to add more elements to yield a larger array. The idea was to use a shallow taper to avoid drastic phase change and adjust at each component the delay values.

It looks like your 16 driver array is frequency tapered. It has 4 inner drivers running full range and the rest 12 drivers are staggered, each driver has a different high pass cap in parallel. Can you pls describe your array? Whats the intended directivity angle? Can the same values be used for 4ohm as well as 8ohm fullrange drivers?

Thanks,
WonderfulAudio

Kimmosto,
The drivers look 8 ohm to me.

Don't forget to simulate distance difference to listening position. You can do that with delay in Xsim.

You can also try my SpeakerSim. It is all in one tool. It also shows listening window response of all drivers considering simulated directivity and distances. It does not have documentation yet, but I tried to make it as simple as possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.