GNU Octave duplex audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used and still use MATAA with Octave 4.2.1 and greater on various Win7 and Win10 machines. It should work.

Working isn't the question, last weekend I was helping someone who recorded a short demo piece at 24/96 (and the file said, actually, 32bit/96K) but was brickwall filtered at 22.05KHz and was 16bit (but it was 96k). Sound stuff under Win gives a lot of folks problems without giving any warnings.

Don't get me wrong lots of things might work but there are some that have gone months and even years under an illusion of working.

Last edited:
i think it had to do with the working directory of octave not finding Testone. i somehow remember that octave could start the scripts.

Then something was wrong with your configuration. Take a look at the manual. And check your set up using the mataa_selftest function.

which version of octave do you recommend?

Anything recent will do. I am usually running 4.0 or 4.2, but I started MATAA development with 2.x.

for me the 16bit limit is not so bad at the moment, maybe in the future someone will start working on the 24bit feature.

Not sure what you're referring to. MATAA+TestTone will do 24 bit out of the box. Or 32 bit.

TestTone might be good enough for me and there is no reason atm to change to PlayRec.

Depends on how you define "good enough". The data quality (sample rate, sample depth) are the same with TestTone or PlayRec. TestTone is a bit slower, because it shuffles data between Octave and the audio hardware by writing/reading to/from files on disk. That's slow, but works very reliably on all kinds of different platforms.

I guess it would be best to stop these off-topic disucssions in this thread. Please either start a new thread about MATAA (let me know!), or go to the MATAA mailing list. Let's focus this thread to the OP question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.