Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Klippel Near Field Scanner on a Shoestring
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2018, 11:01 PM   #351
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a powerful package - after my time!
Old 17th July 2018, 02:26 AM   #352
mwmkravchenko is offline mwmkravchenko  Canada
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
this is working on the impulse response rather than FRD

what format does the smith & larson software export to? no obvious manual online so hard to tell what it can do
The Smith & Larson software exports to almost every style you have mentioned. So after looking today and doing a bunch of measurements I can say you have it covered.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #353
3ll3d00d is online now 3ll3d00d  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
The DataOut array is not in angle, it is in modes. The first mode versus frequency, the second, etc. Hence a contour plot makes little sense. Plot it as separate frequency responses for each mode.
does this look right? The data set is the example data from your website.

modal.png
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #354
diyAudio Member

I don't follow this bit

Quote:
To get to a reconstructed polar plot you need to go one step further and use

Code:
Declare Function CalPolar Lib "MeasCalcs.dll" (ByRef DataIn As Complex, _
                                                     ByVal NumCoef As Integer, _
                                                     ByVal angl As Double, _
                                                     ByVal freq As Double, _
                                                     ByVal farnum As Double, _
                                                     ByVal Velnum As Double) As Complex
at this point we have

1) a set of measurements at various angles (e.g. 0, 5, 10...180)
2) a set of log spaced frequencies
3) a chosen number of modal coefficients
4) an (angle, freq) dataset (of complex numbers) via linToLog(fft(x)) where angle are those in 1) and freq from 2)
5) a (mode, freq) dataset (of complex numbers) via calSpatial where mode is a range of 1 to teh value in 3) and freq is from 2)

now we have the CalPolar function which returns a complex number given

- dataIn : is this the data from 4) or 5)? The arguments and the reference to Pressure make me think it must be 4) but in that case I don't understand what numCoefs refers to.
- numCoefs: is the same as 3) above? i.e. the no of coeffs passed into calSpatial
- angl : the angles from 1) in radians again?
- freq : the log spaced frequencies from 2)
- farnum : hardcoded to 10.0
- velnum : the !DEC$ section suggests this is SourceRadius which I guess is referring to the driver radius? i.e. the value passed to CalSpatial as "Radius"

the combination of references to coefs and angles is what confuses me as I don't understand how the two are related.

Anyway if it is the linToLog output then I call this function for every single value returned from linToLog. This output is complex so I calculate the magnitude and pass it to smooth and then I use that to feed the contour map?

If I'm right so far, I don't understand the relevance of the data from CalSpatial

I imagine this would make more sense if I understood the maths ....

Last edited by 3ll3d00d; Yesterday at 10:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #355
diyAudio Member

attempting to call CalPower I notice that as soon as angl is non zero then the program pauses (permanently) and prints

Code:
bad arguments in sphbes
to the console

google finds some code to do with a spherical bessel function that has this output, e.g.

Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing - William H. Press - Google Books

if this code is in the dll then it would be good to remove it (blowing up hard is better than hanging IMV)

in the meantime I'll try to recreate in c#
Old Today, 01:21 AM   #356
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

You have it mostly wrong.

1) are measurements, inputs.
2) Are the frequencies where we want data
LintoLog gives us the same set of measurements but now log spaced.
3)Is just a number - the number of modes used in the reconstruction, it can be anything, but 15 seems about right for us. Lower values, but finite, would be the easiest to debug.
4) you have correct, its the output of the 2) and the next line
5) Is correct as well.

Calpolar returns the dcomplex pressure at any requested "angle" and "Freq", no reference to what was actually measured. Array 5) is a "model" if you will of the speaker for all angles (in the horizontal plane) and all frequencies. It is simply now in "modal" space. Modal space completely defines the radiation pattern.

Want a very close analogy Think of electrons patterns around a nucleus. Knowing the shell numbers completely specifies the electron distribution. It's basically the exact same problem.

I already defined the other variables.

The routine is exactly the one in your reference, and it would be impossible to remove as it is key to the software. And yes, it is an antique, probably 40 years old now or more! I didn't write it and it would be very dangerous to modify it. This has never been a problem for me when the data is sent in correctly.

Your plots look OK, except for the 600 dB scale, I can't live with more than 100. But you can see the modes "cut-in". That's exactly what they do. Does your plotting have interpolation for smoother plots?
Old Today, 08:53 AM   #357
diyAudio Member

OK thanks for the explanation.

Let me play this back to make sure I understand

(dataIn, angl, freq) is the output from linToLog

i.e. I can call CalPolar something like this

Code:
        logData, logFreqs = linToLog(measurement.fftData, measurement.fs / measurement.fftPoints)
        for ld in logData:
            for lf in logFreqs:
                print(calPolar(ld, 15, math.radians(measurement.angle), lf, 0.10, 0.15))
i.e. call linToLog for a single measurement and then call calPolar for each log spaced frequency and piece of data returned

is it correct?

If so, this does produce a pause as soon as I move onto the 5 degree measurement

in C# terms, it pauses on the following data

Code:
using System;
using System.Numerics;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.IO;

namespace CalPower
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Complex a1 = new Complex(0.00743564367029359, -0.0020608701139408466);
            int a2 = 14;
            double a3 = 0.08726646259971647;
            double a4 = 20.0;
            double a5 = 0.15;
            Complex output = MeasCalcs.CalPower(a1, a2, a3, a4, 0.10, a5);
            Console.WriteLine(output);
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(20000);
        }
    }

class MeasCalcs
    {
        [DllImport("MeasCalcs.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
        public static extern Complex CalPower(Complex dataIn, int numCoef, double angl, double freq, double farnum, double velnum);
    }
}
So I am going wrong somewhere but I don't know where so I'd appreciate your help is debugging this.
Old Today, 08:56 AM   #358
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your plots look OK, except for the 600 dB scale, I can't live with more than 100. But you can see the modes "cut-in". That's exactly what they do. Does your plotting have interpolation for smoother plots?
atm I've left it to automatically determine the range from the boundaries in the data, I can reduce this to more sensible levels though for sure. There are lots of options on how to interpolate both lines and grids for the contour plots. If there is a particular preferred method then I can look for an equivalent otherwise I can just add one later on.

Klippel Near Field Scanner on a ShoestringHide this!Advertise here!