Klippel Near Field Scanner on a Shoestring

How one gets the impulse response is not critical, although some methods are better than others, and some programs will output an array of data - as required - and others won't. I built my software around HolmImpulse and it works very well, but any means of getting a single file with the impulse responses at various angles will work.

As to myself, ...

My intention is to get back to this, but my circumstances are not making that easy.

Sounds good to me, and that's certainly understandable - I'm fairly certain we all have more things we'd like to do than we are able, no matter our age.

I ask about the data format because I have built a tool that automates polar measurements at work, and I'd love to spit out the correct format for use in this tool. Is there an example of the proper data somewhere in this thread? If not, could one be posted so I can follow it?

I ask about the data format because I have built a tool that automates polar measurements at work, and I'd love to spit out the correct format for use in this tool. Is there an example of the proper data somewhere in this thread? If not, could one be posted so I can follow it?
I added the commonly available formats and mostly added some comments to explain the format, for the most part this means expecting a directory full of files which are named according to the angle they represent and that contain data in some known format. The supported formats being

- wav
- dbl
- ARTA PIR
- REW txt format

There is then the HolmImpulse export format which is described in pypolarmap/load.py at master * 3ll3d00d/pypolarmap * GitHub

This is a semi colon delimited format where the angles have been embedded in the header (aka the measurement names) as a convention

I have concluded that I am the wrong person to be key in moving this software along. So consistent with what I said at the beginning, I will make all the code that I have available so that perhaps someone else can move the numerical code along.

This code is in FORTRAN and compiles on the INtel compiler under Visual Studio.

I am not sure how to post it, any ideas? I'd prefer for someone to take this on and then I would work directly with them rather than just posting the coed in the public domain.

I meant to comment on that.

The discussions were not very fruitful owing to the fact that he is well over 90 and I'm almost 70. We just did not seem to be able to communicate very well via E-mail.

I have concluded however that all two layer measurements are basically equivalent. What one is doing is measuring the radial velocity rather than the pressure, which will be highly robust to external reflections. The radiation is then expanded in terms of the radial velocity modes instead of the pressure. This can be done with a rotating source just as well as a stationary one. It just requires an intensity type of measurement using the pressure gradient rather than the pressure. A small modification would be required in the math, but nothing complicated.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Kessito

A highly theoretical coverage of the subject. Jay Maynard, Earl Williams and Eugen Scudryk were all contemporaries of mine at Penn State. This is how I learned these fundamental techniques. But for our purposes - simplicity - I don't think this kind of intense theory is really an advantage. Makes for a good thesis, but not good background for a simple and effective method.

I thought I'd just "throw that in" because of the recent posts on data format.

I actually emailed Ivo about including this (export file-type) in Arta, once he updated Arta for automated polars, ..about a year ago.

Don't know if he ever received the email or not, or if he had - what he thought about including that export capability.

The key word in my comment was "basically".

It can be proven that measurements on concentric spheres will not include any sources external to the spheres. It cannot be proven that such is the case with two microphones and a rotating source. However since all of the desired velocities are radial and it is highly unlikely that any room effects will also be so, there is a very strong rejection of anything external to these measurements. How "strong" would need TBD. But I would certainly first try the simple approach before rejecting it.

I think I have not fully understood what Klippel NFS does. I use Clio FW12 and it does window time-gated measurement to subtract the room reflection from the direct sound. NFS does the same thing but by using the computer-controlled robot to do the same measurement in different angles to make CLF balloon 3D directivity index?

I hope it's on life support! It's still kind of alive over at Audio Science Review.

I've continued thinking about it and poke around into what I may need to learn to go it alone... but that's some heavy math and programing for someone starting out.

I'm curious if a simpler goal is possible, that of only doing "sound field separation" with one reflective surface, and only measuring polar response rather than the whole 3D sound field.