Reading and analyzing REW results

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So as a result of some help from fellow members I was able to set up a basic system for testing my home built speaker. I have very limited knowledge regarding this so please forgive me if I’m using wrong terms or processes.

Using REW and a condenser microphone I was able to take some measurements. I still need to calibrate a lot of stuff but as a starting point I’m good.

So my question is how to properly read and analyze the results. I have a basic understanding of what I’m looking at but I’m not sure how to dive deeper.

Does anyone know of a decent tutorial or someplace I can learn how to read the spectrum charts generated by REW. I’m quite aware there is a lot to learn but I need to start somewhere and any help with this would be great.

Thanks!

Hello!

We've all been there, so it's great you want to learn more.

My advice would be to train yourself to make some kind of correlation in your mind between what you see in the measurement and what you hear, after all, you want to know what those bumps and dips sound like. For example, if you see a bump in the measurement at 2kHz, you need to know if it'll sound ok, so you need to have an idea of what a bump at 2kHz sounds like.

This is a great piece of software to do that.

...So my question is how to properly read and analyze the results. I have a basic understanding of what I’m looking at but I’m not sure how to dive deeper...Does anyone know of a decent tutorial or someplace I can learn how to read the spectrum charts generated by REW. I’m quite aware there is a lot to learn but I need to start somewhere and any help with this would be great.

See:

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

https://www.avforums.com/attachments/rew-101-hts-current-version-pdf.735131/

and this forum:

Official REW (Room EQ Wizard) Support Forum | AV NIRVANA

These really won't teach you how to read a Bode plot or a spectrogram, etc., but you will begin to see how to use REW to correct your loudspeakers and/or room acoustics.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.