Speaker Crossover Simulation Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's quite new software in this scene, freeware since 2016-09-11. Some users might prefer free form X/O schema and solver which are not (yet) included, but fortunately many other valuable features are already done. Author's (my) needs were met half a year ago, but project seems to continue. Nelder-Mead simplex solver is already added in the source package. One day we might see some way+axial+power+impedance optimizing mammoth... - or not :D
Bravo! This looks like an amazing tool that combines several tasks under one roof. I need to figure out how to go about starting out. I've done box modeling, but that's about it in terms of softtware simulation. I haven't done any tracing of graphs, curves, or importing, exporting, or merging any data files. I'd also like to add new drivers, namely the Scan-Speak 18M/8631T, SBA MW16P-8 SBA TW29BN, SBA WO24P-8.

I need to figure out how to go about starting out.

Design process is listed in section Checklist for designing a loudspeaker, starting on page 4 in user manual. See also youtube lessons and document Measurement preparations: recommended angle step for polar measurements is 10 deg. Horizontal plane only is usually adequate. Measurement gear should be 2-channel, for example ARTA 1.9.1, Sonarworks XREF20 and Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I've not tested Solo and XREF, but should be okay. Just forget Omnimic, Umik-1 and REW, though these are very popular for measuring room acoustics.

I'm planning to place the 22W/8851T00 in a 40L ported cabinet to make a smaller footprint than 55L. I thought I can make this speaker with 11in wide top and bottom cabinets.

The 8" Scan-Speak 22W/8851T00 in a 44L volume appears to perform best (-F3=33Hz) with a port tuned to 31Hz for a modest bass shelf alignment with just ~0.8db droop between 200Hz and 45Hz, then dropping to (-F3=33Hz) .
(31Hz port: Diameter = 3", Length=10.5", both ends rounded)

The 8" 22W/8851T00 has cone area Sd= 220cm2
The 10" SB29NRX75-6 has cone area Sd= 312cm2
So, with a passive crossover the excellent 22W/8851T00 will produce solid bass, but not the same impact at <40Hz as the SB29NRX75.

The Satori MW16P-8 needs a sealed 13.5L for QB3 0.7 alignment with -F3=67Hz ... not tiny. The Kairos box is 17L before adding speakers.

Last edited:
kimmosto, thank you for the great launch of tutorials and preparation needed to get started. Your program is an elegant approach encompassing so many aspects of modeling, and loudspeaker design principles, all under one roof. :)

LineSource, thanks for the in depth analysis of the 22W/8851T00 driver for the SBA 10 kit. It's encouraging to know that the 8" driver will be only -0.8dB from 45-200Hz. 44L is definitely doable, as I've done a 43L cabinet for my Scan-Speak "Classic" 8-7-1 speakers. The "Classic" drivers are 20 years old, I think the new drivers will provide increased transparency, dynamics, and lower compression.

Attachments

• 20151114_123818_resized.jpg
    20151114_123818_resized.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 408
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.