Does a user friendly crossover simulator exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I am trying to flatten out the impedance on this tweeter: Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter and at this point I am not sure if a simple restor in parallel is adequate or if I should be using a notch filter (and if that should be series or parallel). I would prefer to use a notch filter because it seems it would aquire a better result but I am new to this and a 'shunt' resistor looks easy.

The problem is, I have no idea what the value of that resistor should be and I assume I'll need to simulate this tweeter with resistors of a few different values before finding the right one. Unfortunatly I am a little pressed for time and learning the in's and out's of a simulator can be very time consuming.

So either an explination of why I should use a series or parellel notch or a recomendation for a user friendly simulator would be much apreciated :) I dont mind spending a small amount of money on a good simulator if it is easier to use than a free one.

Cheers!

Myles

You need an impedance file (".zma") for your driver(s). You can measure one with DATS or RES (+a fixture), or try to find a curve in its data sheet. You can make your own .zma files with Windows Notebook (for example), just make a text file and on each line put a frequency followed by an impedance and and angle, making sure frequency is rising as you go down the list, like this:

10 8 0
20 8 0
100 8 0
1000 12 40
2000 9 30
3000 8 0
10000 8 0

(just numbers I made up, you'd have to get real ones off a plot or table)

Edit: actually Dayton even provides an actual ZMA impedance file you can download --https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/dc28f-8.zip

Last edited:
Myleso,
Looks like you're looking for a speaker simulator - not just a crossover simulator? Plain crossover simulator needs measured, graphically captured or simulated frequency and impedance responses as txt or frd/zma files. Impedance response is not enough. All speaker simulators can create those responses with T/S-parameters, but the result is inaccurate above low frequencies. In practice you need to measure drivers located in a prototype or final speaker or graphically trace the measurements from data sheet or import manufacturer's measurements. Traced and measured half space response needs conversion to full space with diffraction simulator, and possible merging of simulated low frequency response to captured high frequency response part due to different enclosure type or tuning. Simulating of power response and directivity index need measured of simulated off-axis responses around the speaker. Free but not perfect "almost all-in-one" applications for those needs are available.
PS. Data from Dayton audio is to half space, axial phase response might be corrupted and frequency response manually fabricated at low frequencies.

Thanks heaps for the reply and sorry for not getting back to you!

Okay so maybe some testing equipment is needed. Would you know of some affordable equipment for this? the Omni Mic seems pretty simple and all-inclusive but it is out of my price range for now.

Any suggestions for impedance testing would be appreciated too.

Cheers!

Myleso,
Traced and measured half space response needs conversion to full space with diffraction simulator, and possible merging of simulated low frequency response to captured high frequency response part due to different enclosure type or tuning. Simulating of power response and directivity index need measured of simulated off-axis responses around the speaker. Free but not perfect "almost all-in-one" applications for those needs are available.
PS. Data from Dayton audio is to half space, axial phase response might be corrupted and frequency response manually fabricated at low frequencies.

Thanks heaps for the info! I am struggling to find the files for the drivers that I have for my current project but I thought in the meantime ill play around with some drivers that have the ZMA and FRD files available (such as Dayton drivers) just to get the hang of crossover design and speaker simulation.

So how can convert the files from half space to full space? also this driver HiVi B4N 4" Aluminum Midbass Round Frame has it's impedance and SPL listed as CLIO files. How can I tell how they were measured?

Also, is is possible to simulate the enclosure with Xsim? how do I take into account baffle step, etc...?

Thanks!

So how can convert the files from half space to full space?

For example with VituixCAD Diffraction simulator. Load half space response to text box, check Full space, design baffle with the driver and export full space response with Export button (Directivity unchecked).

also this driver HiVi B4N 4" Aluminum Midbass Round Frame has it's impedance and SPL listed as CLIO files. How can I tell how they were measured?

Frequency response is time-windowed ~5ms. Probably far field measurement, but no information about meas. distance, enclosure type, volume and dimensions. Poor data and too much difference between sample and spec. sheet. Doesn't look very valid and useful.

Also, is is possible to simulate the enclosure with Xsim? how do I take into account baffle step, etc...?

I don't think so. Looks plain crossover designer, though you can load acoustic effect correction file for each driver, but that response should be produced with some other tool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.