PCB design using Fritzing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just discovered, downloaded and installed "Fritzing" on my Linux computer.
Does anybody has experience with the Fritzing PCB design software when using vacuum tubes?
Although the vacuum tubes are not available as component in Fritzing. Is it possible to make some custom model?

I did, but I my question still stands: Is it possible to use vacuum tube sockets? Cannot discover this in KiCad also.
With Kicad you can use anything, since you can define your custom components in the library.
You define the scheme/symbol for your component, then you draw the PCB pads and associate symbols pin to pads.
Many of the component I end up using, I end up doing that.
I shop for the component I want, and if it is not already in Kicad (or mine) libraries, I take the data sheet and design scheme/symbol and PCB footprint.
And in case I need simulation as well, I define (many times copy from online definitions) the proper ngspice module.

I can't answer your question about how to create tube footprints in Fritzing because I have never used it. Fritzing doesn't seem to have a large following so you may need to look elsewhere for help.

The choice of design tools is a personal thing and every tool will have its proponents and its haters. But before you invest a lot of time learning Fritzing it might be worth getting opinions from people that are familiar with a variety of PCB software applications. Here is one review that you might find interesting, even if it's not particularly helpful. :)

Creating A PCB In Everything: Friends Don’t Let Friends Use Fritzing | Hackaday

Hi, Does anyone have attachment/drawings for octal tube socket holes for Fritzing ?
Thanks

You need to look up the tube sockets datasheet for pin locations and sizes.
Then input them into your CAD package.

I didn't get on with KICAD. While the libraries are very good its a little strange to use after using other PCBCAD packages.
Its also free, so suffers from having a bug list. They admit it on their website that the latest versions have numerous bugs.

Fritzing tube sockets

Hi,
Without to much trouble you can choose the generic IC option first on top left black
the choose pins out left side only on inspector menu, then select how many connections needed ie 8 for an octal, ak-modul make small generic/ small sub boards that would then slot on to your Fritzing PCB, providing not only a cheap solution but a heat stand off also.
Pictures included

http://www.ak-modul-bus.de/cgi-bin/iboshop.cgi?show230,553115076526320

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.18.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.18.08 pm.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.18.26 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.18.26 pm.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.18.37 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 3.18.37 pm.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 80
Hi,
Without to much trouble you can choose the generic IC option first on top left hand side
Then choose pins out left side only on inspector menu, then select how many pin connections needed ie 8 for an octal, ak-modul make small generic sub boards that would then slot on to your Fritzing PCB, providing not only a cheap solution but a heat stand off also.
Support holes would also need to be selected and suitable standoff
Pictures included

http://www.ak-modul-bus.de/cgi-bin/iboshop.cgi?show230,553115076526320

corrected !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.