Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Circuit board software and manufacturing
Circuit board software and manufacturing
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2017, 03:13 PM   #11
LCipher is offline LCipher
diyAudio Member

I've been using KiCad and have had 5 board designs done by Elecrow (china). Zero problems - generally ~$15 including ship to USA for 5 boards (10cm x 10 cm). Great quality. Takes about 2.5 weeks. I use them for my home projects.

Double sided, silk screened, etc. I can't breadboard for less than that.

For "production" - would probably find a US as the diff is less at larger quantities.

The world we live in....
Old 20th September 2017, 03:22 PM   #12
Speaker Dude is offline Speaker Dude  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been using Eagle CAD for years. You can add an autorouter but I never had the need. I see they have a free student version now. For quick turn PCB's that are not too expensive I use PCBFABEXPRESS | PCB Fab and Assembly Services. Have also used China mfg and never had a problem except for the delay.
Old 20th September 2017, 07:29 PM   #13
schillg11 is offline schillg11  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Using TARGET3001 V18 Light

I can absolute agree with CharlieLaub.

I am using Target V18 Light version. With a maximum pin count of 400 pins, i made several layouts, and this count was always sufficient. For my producing layouts i most used Elecrow and PCBWAY in several configurations, single sided and double sided, single and double silkscreens, and also 1oz and 2 oz copper. Never had any problems with the Gerber data created by TARGET.

Even for me was a great help to use the 3D feature of the created layout, which helps me to estimate how good the placement of the parts is.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:13 PM   #14
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Layout program KiCAD 4.0.5 and board manufacturer Eurocircuits. KiCAD takes some getting used to and via stitching is a bit clumsy, but otherwise it is fine.

Eurocircuits is not cheap, but their boards are good and they warn you when there is something fishy with your Gerber files, like pads with solder mask on top of them or metal density gradients that are likely to cause manufacturability problems. You then get the chance to upload corrected data before they make the boards.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:34 PM   #15
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have designed around 150 pcb's.
I do use auto-routing then go back in and start sorting out the ground.
Smoothing capacitors need a separate ground back to star ground or their charging impulses modulate the ground line.

For valve circuits I use copper pours connected to ground around all the sensitive valve input signal lines.

Keep high AC volts away from audio signals.
Keep mains pcb transformers away from audio signals too.

Keep audio input signals as short as possible.

USe a PCBCAD package with lots of error checking. One error can cause nightmares when you have to start cutting up your pcb tracks to fix it.

I would highly recommend China PCB Prototype & Fabrication Manufacturer - PCB Prototype the Easy Way for cheap and fast pcb's. I haven't had a bad board yet from them.
Old 29th November 2017, 05:40 AM   #16
ndwalker is offline ndwalker  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm looking to take the leap to designing my own circuit boards too. I'm quite competent with LT Spice schematics now and am wondering if there is software that can use it's .asc files or maybe the netlist?

It would be a bit of pain to have to redo the schematic entry into the PCB layout software.

I should say that my intention is to have my boards manufactured by PCB Way
Old 29th November 2017, 12:55 PM   #17
gannaji is offline gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

Dear ndwalker,
Please read post number 3 of veteran Jan more carefully. Choose a program that can link the schematic to PCB such that the errors are caught early.
No easy solution to link LTspice schematics to a PCB design program !
--gannaji
Old 29th November 2017, 06:51 PM   #18
ndwalker is offline ndwalker  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, I did read Jan's post carefully and it is the reason for my question - Jan hints that some software can link to a schematic program - so I'm asking if there is an obvious partner to LTspice?
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:14 AM   #19
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have made around 150 pcb's using PCBCAD51.

I use China PCB Prototype & Fabrication Manufacturer - PCB Prototype the Easy Way for cheap pcb's.
Old 10th March 2018, 07:04 AM   #20
Chris Daly is offline Chris Daly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I have made around 150 pcb's using PCBCAD51.
I have contacted Murton Pike Systems, makers of PCBCAD51 asking if their software will run in Linux, or Linux Wine emulation. Lets hope so.

Circuit board software and manufacturingHide this!Advertise here!