Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Installing LinearX LEAP 5 on 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2017, 03:31 PM   #11
rdunn is offline rdunn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Houston, We Have A Problem -- Solved

Well, I really didn't want to post binary files -- I'm paranoid and you should be, too -- but the only solution seems to be a digitally signed LXK_USB driver.

Attached is the most recent version of the driver signed with a self-generated test certificate. I created this specifically for a Win7 AMD box but it works fine on my Win10 Intel PC. Note that you don't need to install the test certificate. (In fact, I don't even have it -- it was lost when the old Win7 box suddenly died.)

This version does not eliminate the requirement that you start your computer with driver signature verification disabled so see prior posts about that.

Driver Installation Steps
  1. Reboot with Driver Signature Verification disabled.
  2. In Windows Explorer, go to the C:\LEAP\Drivers folder. Rename or otherwise save the LXK_USB.sys and LXK_USB.inf files.
  3. Extract the contents of the attached zip file to that folder.
  4. In Windows Explorer, right-click the LXK_USB.inf file and select install.
  5. You will get a UAC prompt to allow modifications to the computer. Click “Yes.”
  6. You will get a warning asking you to confirm installing the unverified driver. Click “install anyway.”
  7. Wait a bit (it takes longer than you’d think) and you should get a “drivers successfully installed” box. Click “OK.”
  8. Plug in the LEAP dongle. You should see a progress box “installing drivers.” This takes a minute or two.
  9. You should finally get a dialog stating that the drivers were successfully installed. (Note that it's possible to get a success dialog when they don't actually work. Just saying.)
  10. Try starting LEAP. If LEAP doesn’t find the key, dismiss the error dialog, unplug the key, plug it back in, and try starting LEAP again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drivers.zip (10.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 18th June 2017, 11:26 PM   #12
mmaki is offline mmaki  Canada
diyAudio Member

Success!
Old 20th June 2017, 06:29 PM   #13
LukasLouw is offline LukasLouw  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Robert, all us LEAP 5 users owe you big time,

Lukas
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:20 PM   #14
rupsyco is offline rupsyco  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rupsyco Send a message via MSN to rupsyco Send a message via Yahoo to rupsyco Installing LinearX LEAP 5 on 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10
He might be cursing you from the grave, but his memory will live on with this. After all LEAP is still in my opinion the best among the speakers simulation software, have to admit as much as I hated to deal with him.

I'm going to try this now to get rid of the VM... thanks a Ton!
Old 24th June 2017, 11:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupsyco View Post
He might be cursing you from the grave, but his memory will live on with this. After all LEAP is still in my opinion the best among the speakers simulation software, have to admit as much as I hated to deal with him.

I'm going to try this now to get rid of the VM... thanks a Ton!
I truly hope that Chris is not cursing me from the grave. I don't think my karma could withstand that. <g>

Please do share your results, positive or negative.
Old 26th June 2017, 07:38 AM   #16
panson_hk is offline panson_hk  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Have you tried importing OBJ file for enclosure?
Old 28th June 2017, 04:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panson_hk View Post
Have you tried importing OBJ file for enclosure?
In case there's any confusion, the dongle driver is used only at LEAP startup to verify the license. Any issues that occur using LEAP would be due to 32-bit compatibility issues unrelated to the dongle driver. I never had issues on Win7/64 and, hopefully, Win10/64 hasn't changed that.

That said, I tested importing an OBJ definition yesterday. No problems once I got the import settings right.
Old 28th June 2017, 09:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunn View Post
In case there's any confusion, the dongle driver is used only at LEAP startup to verify the license. Any issues that occur using LEAP would be due to 32-bit compatibility issues unrelated to the dongle driver. I never had issues on Win7/64 and, hopefully, Win10/64 hasn't changed that.

That said, I tested importing an OBJ definition yesterday. No problems once I got the import settings right.
Sorry, no sure we are talking about the same OBJ or not. I was referring to import 3D file in OBJ format.

I use LEAP 5 in Oraclel VM virtualBox. This import function doesn't work.
Old 29th June 2017, 11:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panson_hk View Post
Sorry, no sure we are talking about the same OBJ or not. I was referring to import 3D file in OBJ format.

I use LEAP 5 in Oraclel VM virtualBox. This import function doesn't work.
Hmm. Yes, we are talking about the same 3D OBJ file format. It is a simple text file format. Go to your LEAP folder (C:\LEAP if you followed my instructions), go to the "Project-Enclosures\AppNote02" sub-folder, and open any of the three *.obj files in a text editor (e.g., NotePad). They are simple text files.

That said, if you cannot load the custom enclosure in a properly configured VM/32-bit guest OS, it won't magically work in Win10/64. I suspect that your *.OBJ does not meet LEAP requirements (e.g., no concave surfaces). But that's just a guess.
Old 30th June 2017, 03:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I simply used OBJ exported by LEAP and imported it again for testing. Import is not working.

Installing LinearX LEAP 5 on 64-bit Windows 7 / Windows 10Hide this!Advertise here!