VituixCAD

Voltage measurement works with one extra driver. Any existing driver with loaded frequency responses is okay. Just Open it for voltage measurement.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Than you get the graph in dB, not in volts.
Also, it doesn't give the voltage OVER a certain component, but only referenced to ground.
This value can be useful in some cases, like the permissible voltage for capacitors.

Than you get the graph in dB, not in volts.

Yes indeed, but relative voltage is more readable in wider scale. Linear Volt reading shows mostly peaks. Shouldn't be a problem to calculate 10^(dB/20) with any generator signal voltage user likes.
Generator output is constant 1.0 at the moment to pass through scaling of measurements. Power dissipation window allows user to play with signal level, but that does not interfere sensitivity reading in SPL and Power&DI charts. Different logic in gain chain is also possible in the future.

Also, it doesn't give the voltage OVER a certain component, but only referenced to ground.

What makes you think that? My examples are not meant for only possibility in the world. Free form schematic supports free connection of drivers for 100% sure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The scroll button does not work in the reference angle box, i use i quite alot since i cant disable responses :)

This is done to rev 2.0.4.4 (2018-08-14) among several less visible improvements.
Reference angle is not yet moved to Crossover tab, though I tested it there. Did not look very logical below Snap group.
Small angle step (5 deg) until 30 deg is valuable alternative for playing with references (imo) because it makes power response more accurate for equalization.

^Yes, Ql is input parameter for calculating acoustic resistance of leaks (Ral), Qa is input parameter for calculating acoustic resistance of losses in the box (Rab) and Qp for resistance of port (Rap). Those resistances are calculated at system resonance frequency fb by enclosure compliance Ccab.
Link to white paper by Janne Ahonen. See pages 17-20 for example vented box, resistances on page 20. There is calculation example to many/most enclosure types found in Enclosure tool.

You can open acoustical equivalent circuit with calculated values to LTspice. Install LTspiceIV and specify path to scad3.exe in Options window. Open LTspice button is located in Info tab.

Last edited:
Hi Kimmo,

2 questions:

1. The old version of vituixcad was giving different results when changing options from PEQ to IIR, but i do not see any change with vituixCAD2. What to do?

2. When I check crossover of driver in enclosure tool, I do not see any change in the response like it was happening in the old version. What to do?

Thanks again for your great work!

1. The old version of vituixcad was giving different results when changing options from PEQ to IIR, but i do not see any change with vituixCAD2.

I suppose you mean checking or unchecking of 'Active PEQ response as analog RLC' in Options window? (which has not much to do with IIR/FIR selection). Changing of checkbox status does not cause recalculation of active filter responses. You need to change some parameter of peak/notch filter to get updated result. Best choice is to save and reload whole project after changing that setting. (This feature was easier in version 1).

2. When I check crossover of driver in enclosure tool, I do not see any change in the response like it was happening in the old version.

Select driver from dropdown list just below 'Crossover of driver' checkbox. Filter transfer function of that driver is feed from main program to driver in Enclosure tool. Selected filter transfer function is visible in Group delay chart on right Y scale.

Thanks again for your great work!

Thanks for using VituixCAD!

Hi, Kimmo, I'm now doing my first steps with this program. Looks great.
I have some remarks/suggestions:

In the drivers list (Enclosure Tool), filtering is possible. However, a possibility to enter some sort of range for numerical fields, and not just the exact number, i.e. a min. and a max. value, would be great. (Yes I'm a spoiled Excel user)

When drafting a wire in the filter section, it would be helpful if wires overlapping would "melt" to one wire, in order to leave only one wire. After going forth and back, deleting and adding new components, I created a mess (and many small dots) of wires who did overlap.

If a new component is placed over an existing wire, it would be cool if the wire could be automatically cut in two and connect the component (like in LTSpice).

Generally, I found the drafting of connections less comfortable than in LTSpice, which for me is very intuitive.

Anyway, no deal breakers, and thanks for creating such a great tool.

Thank you Kimmo, it works fine!!!

Could we have some overlays from other projects as reference on the SPL graph, or in every one of the six graphs of the scorecard, when we change the filter parameters?
a. how to compare between two or more different filter designs on the same SPL graph?
b. or to compare when one of the filters use invert polarity for a driver?

a. how to compare between two or more different filter designs on the same SPL graph?
c. we have two ways to invert polarity in both old and new version, from drivers or from crossover. In the old version, they were in agreement, but in the new version are independent. This creates confusion because even when invert in Drivers tab, the schematic remains unchanged and opposite. Can it be corrected like in the old version?

d. why my impedance graph is empty in the VituixCAD2 but I could always see that in the old version?

e. It will be very helpful if you can add Maximum Filter gain in the optimizer like Minimum impedance. It is very helpful for active designs , like impedance is for passive crossovers.

Thnx again for everything.

c. we have two ways to invert polarity in both old and new version, from drivers or from crossover. In the old version, they were in agreement, but in the new version are independent. This creates confusion because even when invert in Drivers tab, the schematic remains unchanged and opposite. Can it be corrected like in the old version?

Invert checkbox in Drivers tab is for normalizing frequency response measurements e.g. if your power amp or mic has inverted polarity of measurement signal. That checkbox should not be used for inverting "way" or driver instance in the crossover. Correct method is to invert in crossover only, by driver or active buffer (context menu or Ctrl+I). Both are visualized in the schematic.

d. why my impedance graph is empty in the VituixCAD2 but I could always see that in the old version?

You have active crossover where load impedance of generator is about 1E9 Ohms. You need to add Active Buffer in the end of each active section, just before the 1st passive component or the driver. It's like a power amplifier which is able to measure load impedance and output power.

e. It will be very helpful if you can add Maximum Filter gain in the optimizer like Minimum impedance. It is very helpful for active designs , like impedance is for passive crossovers.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'll consider this.

Last edited:
I missed these two.

Comparing of reference angle (=axial) response is in Power & DI chart. You can take snapshot of the 1st situation and then try to find better scenario. Or you can open reference angle, power and DI responses to overlays from file exported earlier from some other version. Power curve uses left Y-scale so you can use that overlay for 3rd SPL curve.

Why this is in Power&DI chart, but not in SPL? Because designing by reference angle only without monitoring Power and DI is poor method. Measurement data should support power response calculation, and final tuning should be done by looking Power&DI chart where you have all three curves visible also while chart is zoomed in.

Same as previous - if I understand your question...

Hello, congrats on the software, it's great and does a lot of things!
Works flawless on windows.

Just have a question about Linux/Wine... followed your instructions, running on wine (32bit profile created), dotnet40 installed, the program works but in the crossover layout the performances are very sluggish, almost unusable.

I mean I pick a component on the top bar, try to place on the crossover board but I have to wait ~1 second or more before it appears. (i7 cpu)
I mean 1 second after the click to appear on the pointer as it's being dragged, then one another 1 second or more to place it on the board after the click.

It's a problem in my config or can you reproduce it too?

(ubuntu 18.04, it happens both on stock wine and winehq packages)

------------
tip/fr: in the enclosure view, it would be nice to have an option to lock the chart scales e.g. at 100dB spl (aka fixed scale) for every woofer. So it would be much easier to scroll through the speakers list and see how the spl curve changes without being fooled by the y scale changing. (as now it autoscales)

sorry if has already been asked.

..can you reproduce it too?

Very sorry but never seen VituixCAD running other than real Windows (and mono which is really bad...impossible at least on Win). There could be some better and faster than Wine. VMware Player? I've no plans to maintain and officially support other platforms than real Win because other platforms are useless for me.
I'm aware that adding components is not very optimized anymore due to new features integrated onto original classes of version 2.

^Drawing of rotated text was not supported in Wine. That was implemented with bitmap workaround in version 1. Version 2 is using transform with matrix to draw vertical text which works on Wine without workarounds. Tooltips were/are also not working okay on Wine and therefore on/off switch is added to Options window. Those two were/are only features optimized for Wine.
jlaakso wrote instructions for other users having Linux. All users are welcome to write tips and faqs for setup to different platforms. I can publish pdf/htm docs on my site, but cannot personally verify that they are okay.

Hi Kimmo,

Thanks again for continuing your great work! Last few days I've finally taken a dive into the version 2 with a 3 way design simulation.

I would have one small suggestion that perhaps some other user would like too... Would it be possible to add a copy of "Reference angle ... " setting to the Crossover tab also in addition to Drivers tab. I have a habit of checking to 10 and 20 deg off axis plots also while tuning the components and this would save a click to other tab and back.

^Copy of textbox is one good option. Shouldn't be a problem to implement. A week ago I tested moving to Crossover tab only but that didn't look the most logical. Multiple reference angles would also be nice, as well as average of listening window.
But now it is moved up into menu bar. Looks quite okay to me.