Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

VituixCAD
VituixCAD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2018, 04:57 PM   #531
Vassilists is offline Vassilists  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassilists View Post
a. how to compare between two or more different filter designs on the same SPL graph?
b. or to compare when one of the filters use invert polarity for a driver?
c. we have two ways to invert polarity in both old and new version, from drivers or from crossover. In the old version, they were in agreement, but in the new version are independent. This creates confusion because even when invert in Drivers tab, the schematic remains unchanged and opposite. Can it be corrected like in the old version?

d. why my impedance graph is empty in the VituixCAD2 but I could always see that in the old version?

e. It will be very helpful if you can add Maximum Filter gain in the optimizer like Minimum impedance. It is very helpful for active designs , like impedance is for passive crossovers.

Thnx again for everything.
Old 15th August 2018, 06:12 PM   #532
kimmosto is offline kimmosto  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
c. we have two ways to invert polarity in both old and new version, from drivers or from crossover. In the old version, they were in agreement, but in the new version are independent. This creates confusion because even when invert in Drivers tab, the schematic remains unchanged and opposite. Can it be corrected like in the old version?
Invert checkbox in Drivers tab is for normalizing frequency response measurements e.g. if your power amp or mic has inverted polarity of measurement signal. That checkbox should not be used for inverting "way" or driver instance in the crossover. Correct method is to invert in crossover only, by driver or active buffer (context menu or Ctrl+I). Both are visualized in the schematic.

Quote:
d. why my impedance graph is empty in the VituixCAD2 but I could always see that in the old version?
You have active crossover where load impedance of generator is about 1E9 Ohms. You need to add Active Buffer in the end of each active section, just before the 1st passive component or the driver. It's like a power amplifier which is able to measure load impedance and output power.

Quote:
e. It will be very helpful if you can add Maximum Filter gain in the optimizer like Minimum impedance. It is very helpful for active designs , like impedance is for passive crossovers.
Shouldn't be a problem. I'll consider this.

Last edited by kimmosto; 15th August 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 16th August 2018, 11:23 AM   #533
diyAudio Member

I missed these two.

Quote:
a. how to compare between two or more different filter designs on the same SPL graph?
Comparing of reference angle (=axial) response is in Power & DI chart. You can take snapshot of the 1st situation and then try to find better scenario. Or you can open reference angle, power and DI responses to overlays from file exported earlier from some other version. Power curve uses left Y-scale so you can use that overlay for 3rd SPL curve.

Why this is in Power&DI chart, but not in SPL? Because designing by reference angle only without monitoring Power and DI is poor method. Measurement data should support power response calculation, and final tuning should be done by looking Power&DI chart where you have all three curves visible also while chart is zoomed in.

Quote:
b. or to compare when one of the filters use invert polarity for a driver?
Same as previous - if I understand your question...
Old 19th August 2018, 07:18 AM   #534
challenge is offline challenge
diyAudio Member

Hello, congrats on the software, it's great and does a lot of things!
Works flawless on windows.

Just have a question about Linux/Wine... followed your instructions, running on wine (32bit profile created), dotnet40 installed, the program works but in the crossover layout the performances are very sluggish, almost unusable.

I mean I pick a component on the top bar, try to place on the crossover board but I have to wait ~1 second or more before it appears. (i7 cpu)
I mean 1 second after the click to appear on the pointer as it's being dragged, then one another 1 second or more to place it on the board after the click.

It's a problem in my config or can you reproduce it too?

(ubuntu 18.04, it happens both on stock wine and winehq packages)

------------
tip/fr: in the enclosure view, it would be nice to have an option to lock the chart scales e.g. at 100dB spl (aka fixed scale) for every woofer. So it would be much easier to scroll through the speakers list and see how the spl curve changes without being fooled by the y scale changing. (as now it autoscales)

sorry if has already been asked.
Old 19th August 2018, 04:09 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenge View Post
..can you reproduce it too?
Very sorry but never seen VituixCAD running other than real Windows (and mono which is really bad...impossible at least on Win). There could be some better and faster than Wine. VMware Player? I've no plans to maintain and officially support other platforms than real Win because other platforms are useless for me.
I'm aware that adding components is not very optimized anymore due to new features integrated onto original classes of version 2.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #536
challenge is offline challenge
diyAudio Member

ok I though you were supporting linux too when I saw the linux guide on your website.
No problem. I have windows, have VMs etc and there it runs flawlessy.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #537
diyAudio Member

^Drawing of rotated text was not supported in Wine. That was implemented with bitmap workaround in version 1. Version 2 is using transform with matrix to draw vertical text which works on Wine without workarounds. Tooltips were/are also not working okay on Wine and therefore on/off switch is added to Options window. Those two were/are only features optimized for Wine.
jlaakso wrote instructions for other users having Linux. All users are welcome to write tips and faqs for setup to different platforms. I can publish pdf/htm docs on my site, but cannot personally verify that they are okay.

VituixCADHide this!Advertise here!