Eagle update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm still using Casdoft's free version of Eagle (7.5.0) but notice that there is an update. went looking as you do to see what was new and discovered that Eagle now belongs to AutoDesk, bit further investigation revealed that the 'free' version of the download looks like its time limited or is that just the student licence.

does anyone know if installing the update will turn the earlier version into the new time limited one?

i dont want to update if i'm going to loose the software in 3 years then get shafted to have to buy it.

I run Eagle 8.2.0 free version. From the user perspective not much have changed, just minor change of the menu style and may be some features which I never use have been fixed/added. I think allowing AutoDesk to know your email address is not so high a price for the software they offer. The license agreement does not mention that it is time limited as far as I know. I also have not received any spam from them since updating to AutoDesk version.

I run Eagle 8.2.0 free version. From the user perspective not much have changed, just minor change of the menu style and may be some features which I never use have been fixed/added. I think allowing AutoDesk to know your email address is not so high a price for the software they offer. The license agreement does not mention that it is time limited as far as I know. I also have not received any spam from them since updating to AutoDesk version.

have you checked to see what the biggest board size is with the updated version?

i have a few spam emails i can use so that wont matter ;)

Now it is more interesting. You can design a PCB of any aspect ratio with the area equivalent to 100x80 mm^2. I just tried and it allowed me to put a component beyond 200mm mark if the other dimension of the PCB (defined by the furthest part center) is no more than 40mm.

No, the limit is 8000 mm^2 no matter the board's actual aspect ratio. So you can design a PCB with 200x40 mm^2 or any other size as long as it does not exceed 8000 mm^2 area limit. The way they evaluate the board space limit is from the origin marker to the furthest part outline (using part's centers did not confirm) in either of the two dimensions.

Last edited:
i know that 7.5.0 will let me board size to some silly size as i use this for making up drill templates for casework as there is no limit on drill, dimension, routing and such. just component and trace layout is limited to 100x80

so it sounds like if you reduce the height you can increase the width up to the old figure of 100x80, so you can now make boards lets say 120x60 or as you say 200x40

about this new update from autodesk, I asked them on support, if it is possible to use student license projects public (I mean, share projects created by students license for non-commercial use, share it publicly into DIY community), they replied, it is not allowed with students license ... :confused: :mad:

Most people I know using Eagle are abandoning it at this point or looking to. Mainly either to KiCad or DipTrace. Both have improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years. Autodesk totally bungled this acquisition, after Eagle had been left stagnant for a long time.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.