Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Pleased with "VeeCAD" software for Stripboard / VeroBoard
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2017, 07:01 PM   #11
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

I can see that those are advantages if you use autoroute and auto place. And link .sch to .pcb. I rarely do either, and have only just started to trust auto routing etc. The only auto route I've found half worthwhile is the one on dip Trace and that's lacking.

I can see that perhaps it helps far more on quick digital design say logic gates and timers etc. I have plenty of that kind of thing at work which look like rats nests but function perfectly well.

In all honesty, with vero board, I just find it simple enough to experiment, and that was and still is the draw of the medium for me. If I want to plan a little more I'll sketch the schematic and layout on graph paper.

However, if thw program can do double sided strip board (which seems to have disappeared or almost unobtainable) then the program woukd be considerably more interesting.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:25 PM   #12
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
You'd need to teach your software that N wires and/or component leads can be inserted into a single drill hole, but (N+1) cannot. Some Veroboard users have decided that N=2 is acceptable, others use N=1. I am not aware of anyone putting N=3 wires into a single drill hole but maybe some crazy person in Serbia uses AWG32 wirewrap wire for hookup?
I actually ran into a problem with 2 components connected to the same hole. It let me do it, but the circuit test didn't pick up an error (ie layout didn't match the schematic). I asked the developer about it and it indeed couldn't cope. Not sure whether he ever added the functionality he said at the time it would be difficult.

I also use Kicad. If you want cheap boards up to 10cm X 10cm then I'd recommend itead's prototyping service https://www.itead.cc/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html I used them for my active crossover boards. picture of partially populated boards here The Synergy "Active" Crossover

Tony.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:33 PM   #13
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Funny, I just ordered from the Chinese PCB fab called Elecrow, two hours ago. For ten double-sided PCBs, 5cm x 10cm, I paid USD 9.86. Receipt below.

The design has a full ground plane on the bottom layer and a wall to wall ground pour on the top, with lots of stitching between, for the lowest possible inductance ground network. It wasn't a good candidate for Veroboard I don't mind waiting for international shipping on this PCB, it's not mission critical.

I found them through the wonderful website http://www.pcbshopper.com which I recommend to everyone who will listen.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png ordered.png (38.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 10th July 2017 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Mention pcbshopper site
Old 11th July 2017, 03:06 AM   #14
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Wow that's impressive! when I ordered my boards back in 2014 with shipping it came to just under $30 US which I thought was a good price for 10 boards. Under $10 is amazing. Let us know how they turn out

Tony.
Old 11th July 2017, 02:48 PM   #15
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

Simple board, simple layout. Version 2 has 3 different I/O connectors.
Attached Images
File Type: png front_and_drills.png (30.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: png back_and_drills.png (15.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 16th July 2017, 10:36 PM   #16
Paul Uszak is offline Paul Uszak  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can I suggest Kicad for strip board too? It works very well. There's a fuller write up here but this shows a trivial example of how to do it...

Click the image to open in full size.

It means that you don't have to learn two EDAs, and you don't have to recapture the schematic to evolve from strip board to PCB. There's no inherent concept of component stretch, but this could be easily incorporated by having custom footprints for passives.

PS. It also works perfectly for one hole /pad proto board, and I suspect Kicad will work brilliantly for tag /turret boards too (no experience of latter currently). It might make breakfast as well...

Pleased with "VeeCAD" software for Stripboard / VeroBoardHide this!Advertise here!