Speaker testing and measurement software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2017, 02:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker testing and measurement software

I have been designing and building speakers for a few years now and recently came up with a new design I believe has not been done or at least hasn't had any success. The build was done with simulation software to start me off and then final voicing was done by ear and took about a year for it to sound how I would like. I believe they sound fantastic and played them for a number people who all have been pleased with them. 2 people asked to buy them, 1 asked for the drivers and build guide so I feel that others feel the same that I do. What is a good software to measure the response of the system and quantitfy the results and see what if anything needs adjustment? I have listened to a bunch of different media however it has all been from the same source and amp. Later in the week I will try other amps and sources and see how it changes the tonality. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:59 PM   #2
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredC79 View Post
I have been designing and building speakers for a few years now and recently came up with a new design I believe has not been done or at least hasn't had any success. The build was done with simulation software to start me off and then final voicing was done by ear and took about a year for it to sound how I would like. I believe they sound fantastic and played them for a number people who all have been pleased with them. 2 people asked to buy them, 1 asked for the drivers and build guide so I feel that others feel the same that I do. What is a good software to measure the response of the system and quantitfy the results and see what if anything needs adjustment? I have listened to a bunch of different media however it has all been from the same source and amp. Later in the week I will try other amps and sources and see how it changes the tonality. Any help would be appreciated.
If you want to get started on the cheap, to see if this is for you, there are a few free/demo programs. I use them to measure "relative" speaker response (dips, peaks).

You have the PC, probably with built in sound card, you can start with a mic (unidirectional) and install either of the following. They are fairly straight forward to use. If you find its for you, then a better method is buying a calibrated measurement mic (absolute SPL). There is the entire other issues of nearfield, farfield and room issues to deal with during measurement.

ARTA Software
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Old 24th March 2017, 01:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have seen people use REW over on the HT forums. I will down load it tonight. I have a good external ADDA conterter. What mics would be ideal? Would I be better off going thru my adda converter and mic pres or should I just get a USB mic? I only use it for my recording DAW and not sure if it would work with REW.
Old 24th March 2017, 01:24 AM   #4
jolathe is offline jolathe  United States
diyAudio Member

baudline is a very good software package that runs on linux systems. Its live spectrogram is very detailed and fast. It is free and is a very powerful and sophisticated tool.
Old 24th March 2017, 01:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have seen people use REW over on the HT forums. I will down load it tonight. I have a good external ADDA conterter. What mics would be ideal? Would I be better off going thru my adda converter and mic pres or should I just get a USB mic? I only use it for my recording DAW and not sure if it would work with REW.
If you are using this to provide customer data, then often a proper calibrated mic is better like the one below is popular. If this is just for your own curiosity, then any cheaper unidirectional mic will do as you'll be doing relative measures.

https://www.parts-express.com/minids...phone--230-332
Old 24th March 2017, 03:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes I believe a few of these designs would be able to be sold and would like solid data so I can make final adjustments as well as provide potential buyers with a cut sheet on how they perform.
Old 25th March 2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Unidirectional (Cardioid) mics are not suitable for measurements. You need an omnidirectional (pressure) microphone.
Old 26th March 2017, 08:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I mean, omnidirectional, as RonE accurately describes. The Yamaha EQ mic is omnidirectional as well. Got my "mords wixed"
Old 29th March 2017, 09:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ideal measurements are taken in an open area like outside with the mic placed at 1m correct?
Old 29th March 2017, 12:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ideal measurements are taken in an open area like outside with the mic placed at 1m correct?
The open field (on a quiet, non windy day) removes environment reflections and gain from the measurement. You would also need to elevate the speaker on stand.

This is ideal (@1m) if you want to isolate the speaker performance or compare it to manufacturers data. They will also smooth to 1/3 octave to approx the ears response, but you may want 1/12 octave or more if you're debugging a speaker. You can usually find or create a spot indoors that may be close enough.

More ideal, is after you think the speaker is working properly is to measure it at your installed listening position as there will be lots of other room interactions that you may want to adjust for.

Last edited by DonVK; 29th March 2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typos

Hide this!Advertise here!