LTSpiceXVII - any good or just a pile of bugs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

from the very first moment of installation LTSpice XVII made probs.
So I deinstalled it and waited for the updated release which appeared on the LT-Website on Feb, 3rd.

So I tried to reinstall it today which didn´t work into the folder I wanted it to be.
After installiung in the preset folder guess what?
The same pile of bugs as before.
When I tried to copy my LTSpiceIV standard.bjt bipolar transistor library into the new LTSpiceXVII standard.bjt library with an editor (simple copy and paste) and started the main programm the ´old´ models did not appear in the menue.
I then ´cleaned up´ the library, editing with the Spice Simulator.
After the restart a message appeared "preparing for first use´.
Only then all models appeared in the selection menue, but not in the correct order (alphabetical order which I had created with some effort).
What a pile of crap is that software! :mad:
Or am I simply to stupid to realize the catch22?
I´m so fed up of software updates of formerly well performing programs that are buggy now or can´t be handled as simple as before.
Man if You can´t improve it, simply put Your fingers off :(
Btw. which ´improvements´ or ´new functions´ that a audio DIYer needs have been updated anyway?
LT are not very informative about the XVII revision anyway.

jauu
Calvin

New LTspice uses a complete different mechanism to manage things (because of the windoze user account management etc), all the file paths downstream of /LIB in the install path don't work anymore as the used to.
My day job relies fully on a working LTspice so I never updated during the last 5 years.

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
New LTspice uses a complete different mechanism to manage things (because of the windoze user account management etc), all the file paths downstream of /LIB in the install path don't work anymore as the used to.
My day job relies fully on a working LTspice so I never updated during the last 5 years.

You can add lib search path under "Control Panel"-> "Sym and Lib Search Path". other than default search path e.g. C:\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sub and any other path. You maybe have to check compatibility to ensure that it does not quit abnormally. Then I found as you switch between Transient, Ac Analyst or DC and others it's not functioning or does not remember or does not pick up previous entry, so you have to edit these options and pick one among the commented out entries or have to repeat the entry which is very annoying. Not sure why it's like that, anyone got the same problems?

The display resolution is much better with XVII if you print screen the zoom image is more than previous version.

Hi,

I had added the alternative search paths, but still this prog seems buggy. :(
If it were minor bugs related to rather seldomly used functions it´d be tolerable ... but hey, You can´t get the stupid thing work right from the basics ... or so it seems.
I also wonder, why LT are so quiet about support for that prog version.
On their website almost all You can read is about Rev.4 and almost nothing about Rev.7.

jauu
Calvin

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
As you may already know, compatibly of window is just but not all the "bugs" of LTSpice. The previous version scad3.exe, in win10 just couldn't even update the ini.file, its' never save. So I try out on win7 home edition on the other computer it works like a charm. The bugs under the "RUN" maybe not LTSpice', XVII is 64 bits, I wonder where can find another system other than win10 to test?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You'll get used to it. I'm pretty much exclusively using LTXVII now but I would agree that some aspects are not intuitive, and some downright frustrating.

The edit simulation options are a pain and I can't understand why they behave as they do. I quizzed Mike Engelhardt over this and was told its 'by design' and that once I understand how it works it will speed up productivity. Lol, I still don't understand and its the most frustrating aspect of the new version for me.

There is a 32 bit version of LTXVII for those that want I it (I run it as a second system on a 10yr old laptop running W10)

Mooly, does the 32 bit version of XVII also work weirdly too, or just the 64bit versions?

I've avoided updates since LTSpiceIV, because I'd modified the basic cmp files of components and was too lazy to want to save and restore the modified versions. After reading this thread, I'm pretty sure I'll never want to update!

Are there any advantages to newer versions since IV?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If LTSPICE is mission critical for you, and you cannot survive without running some certain (old) version of LTSPICE, then

it might be worthwhile to create a virtual machine and run the LTSPICE binary inside that virtual machine. This would let you continue to run the same old binary (and the same old OS) for years and years and years. And if LTSPICE secretly and stealthily upgrades itself, you merely roll back to the stored virtual image of the old, trusted version. But I'll bet that you'll make it part of your standard practice to disable the computer's network connection before launching LTSPICE. Now if it tries to call the home office for updates, the call won't go thru.

Last edited:
...or you can just launch the program choosing platform compatibility via program properties.
What was included in the new LTXVII that are upgrades in the old LTIV?
LTXVII is twice the size of the old LTIV but from the looks LTXVII is two platform in one X32 and X64 installations. I gather in the forum feedbacks spice engine performance is the same as the old version. In terms of GUI improvement any noticeable changes?

Regards!

Hi,

I am not an LTSpice expert user but my observation was LTXVII uses more hardware resources than LTIV most probably an increased multithreading function to support multi-cored chipset. It seems you cannot do much in the Spice software to speed-up runtime except by tweaking the time-step. I do think this cannot be recommended because it will affect the accuracy of simulated results.
I also searched [in vain :Ouch:] the web on how to modify the programs control panel to tweak performance, nothing came up useful other than increasing Rltol, said to be ok if simulating with bjt's but will have an impact when working with smps. I found one suggestion from another forum, the step is to repeat the schematic encoding again using the newer LTXVII. I have not tried this and if it ever worked out then a "bug" lies somewhere in the upgraded version. This should not be happening. Make sure that you have made a successfull uninstallation of LTIV. Allow a few sim runs for the program to re-orient itself, first runs seems to be slower.
If you are on Windows environment you can try to set core affinity to a particular program, in this case LTSpice. I am using a utility app called Lasso process that does the same function. The purpose is simply to assign part of pc power resources to LTSpice to increase program responsiveness, avoiding lags, freezes etc. when part of your pc resources run-out.
On the other hand if it happens to be an hardware issue an additional RAM module comes handy and won't cost you much.;)

Regards!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Strange I've had no problems with XVII and even successfully added my old tube and other libraries. All the old circuit sims work. Seems a lot faster, of course that could be down to an i7 equipped laptop with fast SSD. It went so smoothly I did not even notice it. I'm running windows 10 pro..

When I tried to copy my LTSpiceIV standard.bjt bipolar transistor library into the new LTSpiceXVII standard.bjt library with an editor (simple copy and paste) and started the main program the ´old´ models did not appear in the menu. I then ´cleaned up´ the library, editing with the Spice Simulator. After the restart a message appeared "preparing for first use´. Only then all models appeared in the selection menue, but not in the correct order (alphabetical order which I had created with some effort).
anyway?Calvin

I'm stuck with this same problem. After I cut-paste added a few bipolar models, none of the bipoler models can now be put onto the schematic.

How did you: "I then ´cleaned up´ the library, editing with the Spice Simulator." ??

How can I get the "B" file type back after I used "Notepad" type for the bipolar cut-paste. I think I need "B" file type to edit with the LTSpiceXVII Spice Simulator library tool. "Notepad" type data is not seen by LTSpiceXVII like it was with LTSpice IV. The "Notepad" typing for the bipolars returned even after a re-install!

Did you install as Administrator?

As you may already know, compatibly of window is just but not all the "bugs" of LTSpice. The previous version scad3.exe, in win10 just couldn't even update the ini.file, its' never save. So I try out on win7 home edition on the other computer it works like a charm.
Under newer Windows versions it's always best to install programs in a local folder or a different drive, *outside* the system directories (like C:\programs, etc).
Had to learn that the hard way. After a Win10 major update recently LTspice refused to work with files on a network drive (as did other programs). Reinstall to the default location didn't help... but a nice thing about good old scad3.exe is that it is fully portable, you don't even need to install it with an installer routine once you have done this elsewere. Just copy the complete folder. Actually, I now have portable (backup) installs on USB sticks and network drives, they run under any Win version from XP to 10/64 right away.

I'm stuck with this same problem. After I cut-paste added a few bipolar models, none of the bipoler models can now be put onto the schematic.

Disk search located -MY- library folder of models in:
C\Users\-MY-\Documents\LTspiceXVII\lib

With this arrangement each LTspiceXVII user can have a different library of models.

While I was moving model files, I also decided to put my main "include xxx" models into these lib model folders. This avoids duplicate device name errors, and guessing which model was used in the sim.

Then I found as you switch between Transient, Ac Analyst or DC and others it's not functioning or does not remember or does not pick up previous entry, so you have to edit these options and pick one among the commented out entries or have to repeat the entry which is very annoying. Not sure why it's like that, anyone got the same problems?

What? I run LTSpice within Wine /Ubuntu and I get this. I honestly thought that it was a feature of Wine compatibility. I'm surprised to hear that this occurs on windoze boxes too. Another annoying thing is that you're supposed to be able to plot current in wires, but that doesn't work for me either...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.