What is the simplest method for determining step baffle compensation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gwilym - are you trying to study and adjust time delay/phase matching of woofer and tweeter?

Stepped baffle or baffle step?

I am using REW for that, just measure first normally, then reverse the woofer (or tweeteer) polarity and measure agoain. Study spl response, impulse response and step response.

With a two-channel soundcard and ARTA you can find offset even easier than that.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to determine the baffle thickness needed for time alignment of tweeter, mid driver and woofer.

On a side note: I've heard the bass driver isn't as essential in this regard, in my case a 10". I intend to use minidsp's ice125 plate amps and a passive linkwitz-riley crossover of some(?) order on the mid/tweeter. I am also very interested in this waveguide which is being used on the same tweeter I'm using, the sbacoustics tw29r. But I don't know if they are available.

Hi, "time algnment" is the phrase you should google. I think it is waste of time to try to do that with measuring tape and simulation. Acoustic match is what counts really.

So first do some kind of xo and flat baffle (not even a box) and measure both woofer/mid and tweter as i said in previous post. Then study impulse and step response and summation. Then make a 1" stepped baffle (usually move woofer towards the mic) and measure again. You just might get it right! A waveguide sets the tweeter back always so that might do.

A link mh-audio.nl - Tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.