Time it takes to reach the microphone using ARTA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to setup my audio system in my car using proper measuring tools.

The problem in a car is that the distance from the right speaker is different to the speaker from the left. Since I have an audio processor in my car, I can make a time alignment setting, so I can delay the sound coming from the speaker which is the closest. This way the sound reaches my head at the same time.

For this I need to place the microphone were my head will be, and take some measurements. If I know how much time it takes for the sound to reach the microphone (left and right speakers), I can setup the processor precisely and get a nice center stage.

I am using ARTA software.
If you take an impulse response, there is flat line and then a sudden bump. That is when the sound reaches the microphone. If I place the microphone at different distances from the speaker, that bump is always at the same spot (on the time axis).
Why is that ? How can I measure the time it takes for the sound to reach the microphone ?

I found out how to do it using Room EQ wizard (not ARTA).
Simply use an audio interface with 2 inputs and outputs. For the 2nd pair of inputs/outputs use a loop-back cable. When you take an impulse response it takes the loop-back as reference and it automatically gives you the delay between the 2. Since the cable is instant, and taken as reference as time 0, the difference is the distance traveled from speaker to microphone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.