Need a little help with sketching sub box in SketchUp (specifically the port length) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2016, 10:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need a little help with sketching sub box in SketchUp (specifically the port length)

Hi,

So my design dictates a port that is 76.29 cm in length. I have drawn a slot port in SketchUp but am not sure how the length of it is calculated. I think I might need to add a few more centimeters.

I'm including a screenshot with dimensions. Please let me know if I got it right.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2016, 02:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Measure in the axis of the port from end/inside to baffle/outside. 1 or more centimeters is fine. (I guess you have less) Calibrate by ear/listening in the end.
Old 11th August 2016, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Measure in the axis of the port from end/inside to baffle/outside. 1 or more centimeters is fine. (I guess you have less) Calibrate by ear/listening in the end.
I'm not quite sure I understand. Do I measure just the wood pieces, not the space between them?

There pieces are 43.7 cm + 28.1 cm, and the depth of the front baffle (double baffle) is 3.6 cm, so my port is 3.6 + 43.7 + 28.1 = 75.4 cm? So I add 0.9 cm and that's it?
Old 11th August 2016, 09:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can count (43.7 cm + 46.4 cm)/2 + 3.6 cm + 28.1 cm and that will be very close. What alignment are you using, and driver?!
Old 11th August 2016, 10:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can count (43.7 cm + 46.4 cm)/2 + 3.6 cm + 28.1 cm and that will be very close. What alignment are you using, and driver?!
Why did you add 43.7 and 46.4 and divide them by two?
Not sure what you mean by alignment. The driver is an Infinity 1260w.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You mention in the drawing those two measures to give the axis of the bottom part of the slot port (). By the way alignment is the net volume and tuning frequency.
Old 11th August 2016, 11:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You mention in the drawing those two measures to give the axis of the bottom part of the slot port (). By the way alignment is the net volume and tuning frequency.
I mentioned the longer part to show the distance between the first (lower) part of the port and the rear panel of the sub.
Old 12th August 2016, 03:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonathanZ View Post
I mentioned the longer part to show the distance between the first (lower) part of the port and the rear panel of the sub.
So, you have close to 76.75 cm total what is close to the "76.29 cm in length" you mention in post #1.
Old 12th August 2016, 04:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, you have close to 76.75 cm total what is close to the "76.29 cm in length" you mention in post #1.
Yeah but I wasn't sure what to measure exactly, the length of the panels that comprise the vent, or in the middle between them. I have figured it out already, though, and I made a small correction of 1.9 cm.

Now I need to add bracing to the design and it's ready to be sent to the carpenter. Suggestions?

Hide this!Advertise here!