Jal language help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want a big help:)
The goal is to change the "welcome message" in a software written in Just)Another)Language).
This software is in a Pic18f452, controlling a number of relais,an LCD 2x16,and the Pga 2311A.
This article is publised in Elektor magazine as "High end preamplifier"
Here is athour's website.ben hinrichs - dh3ben
The project is in the "electronics" directory.
Many thanks to rsavas who promised help

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can you open the hex file of the program with something like notepad? Then search for the string of the current welcome message and replace it, taking care that the new message must have EXACTLY the same length. Then save and transfer to the processor.

Edit: The welcome string is in init_vv. I think the JAL compiler is free from its developer? Then it's just a case of changing the text and re-compile and put in the controller.
Or just email the guy who developed it - it's a 2-min job if you are set up for it, chances are he likes that you build it and would be happy to do it for you!

Jan

Last edited:
Can you open the hex file of the program with something like notepad? Then search for the string of the current welcome message and replace it, taking care that the new message must have EXACTLY the same length. Then save and transfer to the processor.

Edit: The welcome string is in init_vv. I think the JAL compiler is free from its developer? Then it's just a case of changing the text and re-compile and put in the controller.
Or just email the guy who developed it - it's a 2-min job if you are set up for it, chances are he likes that you build it and would be happy to do it for you!

Jan

Hi jan ,i have already downloaded Jal and the sourcecode but do not know the procedur exactly.So i will waiting for someone to guide me step by step.
Thanks for your interesting,i apreceate this!

Last edited:
right on, Jan has one way to do it to.
since it is ascii and you know the exact string length, do a simple substitution of ascii characters. take a look at your ascii tables.
i think i emailed ben once = no reply?
the compiler is command driven, so you have to get a ms-dos command window going.
change dir to the run directory where the source code resides.
at the prompt
>jal & return 'to get the command line options, so you know the how to insert the {file name} & {options}
"jal" will generate a hex file, if it runs error free. you need a programming plug made up and attached to the processor, so that you can access the mcu programming pins, with your programmer and program the device. that is about it in a nut shell without all the details. btw i have a mplab icd3, i think i used it once and then moved on to atmel xmega. lets see where you end up.
good luck Rick

Last edited:
there is a batch file that you run from the command line
originally,
@ECHO OFF
z:\elektronik\software\jal\jal0459\jal -sz:\elektronik\software\jal\jal0459\lib -ssetup %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %8 %9 _vv.jal
copy /Y _vv.hex ..\..\..\..\icprog1.05

I changed mine to be

@ECHO OFF
d:\JAL\jal-0.4.60\jal-0.4.60.win32\jal -sd:\JAL\jal-0.4.60\jal-0.4.60.win32\lib -ssetup %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %8 %9 _vv.jal

so change to where you installed jal on your computer.

Please look here.
Is it nessesary to open all files included to start compile?

Attachments

• jal 2 pream..JPG
    jal 2 pream..JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
that is it!! but

you are not doing what I have written above. use the original compiler first, before you go off and use a new version of the software.

read the source code, it says in "_VV.jal",
-- Thanks to the JAL-Team for this great compiler
-- To be compiled against jal0459

once you have that figured out then go and try out the new version.

As mr. Ben Hinrichs didn't use strings in the source code, but instead the lcd procedure runs each character one at a time, the string PreAmp v1.000 elektor etc... won't be "visible" in the hex file, so, I've tried to assemble it back to pic18F code, but unfortunately can't seem to find the data (I didn't try MPLAB as I do not have it installed though...)
So the easiest way would be indeed to recompile it again as jan and rsavas stated

there is a batch file that you run from the command line
originally,
@ECHO OFF
z:\elektronik\software\jal\jal0459\jal -sz:\elektronik\software\jal\jal0459\lib -ssetup %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %8 %9 _vv.jal
copy /Y _vv.hex ..\..\..\..\icprog1.05

I changed mine to be

@ECHO OFF
d:\JAL\jal-0.4.60\jal-0.4.60.win32\jal -sd:\JAL\jal-0.4.60\jal-0.4.60.win32\lib -ssetup %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %8 %9 _vv.jal

so change to where you installed jal on your computer.
Is it possible to run this under winXP?
Where i must change the "welcome message"?
Where i must save files ?
I want more details if it's possible.:)

#1) are you able to program the original hex file into the pic device?
if no, then you are screwed!! i assume because you bought a already programmed device.
or
you figure #1 out first, then we can proceed
if i give you a new hex file & you can not program it into the device. you are asking me to buy the device,program it, & mail/send it too you?

#1) are you able to program the original hex file into the pic device?
if no, then you are screwed!! i assume because you bought a already programmed device.
or
you figure #1 out first, then we can proceed
if i give you a new hex file & you can not program it into the device. you are asking me to buy the device,program it, & mail/send it too you?
Yes i can do it.I have done this many times.
I didn't bought a already programmed device.

Last edited:
sure,
you found the command line compiler for jalv2,
so you want to try that instead of what i suggested. okay
change/edit the compiler batch file to point to this install directory for the compiler and run in the directory where your source resides
or construct the command line accordingly
or in the gui set it up find the directory where the source file "_VV.jal" resides
> c:\jalpack\compiler\jalv2 -help
to get the command line options

>c:\jalpack\compiler\jalv2 c:\hi-end_pre-amp_dir\_VV.jal

Code:
Compilation started at :4/15/2015 3:22:35 PM
jal jalv24q3 (compiled Sep 27 2014)
[Error] (f452_10.jal) [Line 2]  'pic_18f452' not found
[Error] (f452_10.jal) [Line 4]  unknown pragma target: osc
[Error] (f452_10.jal) [Line 4]  "osc" not defined
[Error] (f452_10.jal) [Line 4]  unexpected token: "osc"
[Error] (_VV.jal) [Line 26]  "disable_a_d_functions" not defined
[Error] (_VV.jal) [Line 26]  unexpected token: disable_a_d_functions
Compiler CommandLine:  C:\JALLIB~1\compiler\jalv2.exe "C:\Project\Hi-End PreAmp\SW\V1.1-test - Copy\_VV.jal" -s "C:\JALLIB~1\lib" -no-variable-reuse  

Errors :6       Warnings :0

this is what you will get with jalv2. it is a different programming environment that is not backwards compatible with jal0459 as far as i can tell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.