Tian Stability Plot at multiple points across the Output Swing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I think I've made this work. Multiple Tian stability plots across the signal swing. Thanks to jcx and fas42 for assistance.

I have a 250W CFP output stage I'm working on. I wanted to break the CFP local loop to check GM & PM at several points on the output swing, from -80V to +80V. Here's what I did.

Nested .step sweeps:
.param dcin=0 prb=0
.ac dec 100 1 1e9
.step param prb list -1 1 ; Tian loopbreak probe V1 and I1; set prb=0 to turn off probe
.step param dcin list -78 -40 0 40 78 ; run Tian loopbreak at each of these voltages

One .func in the plot.defs file for each of the dcin values:
.func stb1() -1/(1-1/(2*(I(VI)@1*V(OUT)@2-V(OUT)@1*I(VI)@2)+V(OUT)@1+I(VI)@2))

.func stb2() -1/(1-1/(2*(I(VI)@3*V(OUT)@4-V(OUT)@3*I(VI)@4)+V(OUT)@3+I(VI)@4))

.func stb3() -1/(1-1/(2*(I(VI)@5*V(OUT)@6-V(OUT)@5*I(VI)@6)+V(OUT)@5+I(VI)@6))

.func stb4() -1/(1-1/(2*(I(VI)@7*V(OUT)@8-V(OUT)@7*I(VI)@8)+V(OUT)@7+I(VI)@8))

.func stb5() -1/(1-1/(2*(I(VI)@9*V(OUT)@10-V(OUT)@9*I(VI)@10)+V(OUT)@9+I(VI)@10))

I think I'll start a thread on this, so others can see it, cause it's useful.
Here's the schematic and plots for your viewing pleasure:

Attachments

• OutputStage.png
    OutputStage.png
    25 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 3.09.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 3.09.40 AM.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Five years later, I got too busy with work to keep up my audio hobby. Meanwhile, my Mac, on which I did this work destroyed it's hard drive. This post is my only back-up of this work, so I'm sure glad I posted it here.

I replaced that Mac with a 6-core I7 running Windows 10. That allows me to use the full LTSpice. I was using Eagle for schematic capture before, but meanwhile I also bought a 1/2 price copy of Altium for schematics and board layout. I feel like I should open a consulting business doing board layouts for this investment.

Anyway, the simulation engine in Altium is pretty bad, from what I understand, and I can't get it to recognize PSPICE or SPICE3 models for transistors. I'll continue to netlist out to LTSpice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.