User driver with a QTS > 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it useful or rational to build a driver with a QTS between 0.9 and 1.1 in a Box with ports (could be a TL or TQWT)?

If the simulation with tools, such as the transmission line modelling tool, shows a reasonable frequency response, could it work or is this complete ********?

Using the TSP like the fs-qts-ratio of a driver can only be seen as a first approximation.
The following simulation doesn't tell you anything about the sound quality of the resulting box. If you have the opportunity design/simulate different chamber-types for your speaker and and choose for yourself if you prefer BR, TL, CB or OB.
A TL can be easily realized after the following calculation:
Transmissinonslinie- Berechnung "Intertechnik-Line" | Lautsprecherbau
For simulation of Chambers I use LASIP. It works very well IMHO!

The following simulation doesn't tell you anything about the sound quality of the resulting box.

Sure, but the biggest problem of drivers with a qts > 1 is the overdone bass, isn't it?

If you have the opportunity design/simulate different chamber-types for your speaker and and choose for yourself if you prefer BR, TL, CB or OB.

I really like transmission lines. But i hate OB ^^.

For simulation of Chambers I use LASIP. It works very well IMHO!

I think the transmission modelling tool from leonard audio is as good as lasip.

So is it possible to get a good speaker out of a transmission line with a driver which has a qts > 1?

If the driver has a high Qms (close to 10), so most of the Qts is determined by Qes, a BR might work. You will wind up with a large cabinet and a low tuning and it is not certain it will work, but it is worth a try.

For example, both these drivers work very well in a BR, in spite of high Qts (although not quite one, both drivers fall completely out of the recommended bandwith for BR, the reason is the ratio of Qes over Qms).

https://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-ns3-193-8a-3-extended-range-driver-8-ohm--296-258

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd105-8-4-aluminum-cone-midbass-driver-8-ohm--290-214

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.