Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

I normally replace the supplies by a DC source with an AC component. Then looking at the output gives you a direct result of the PSRR.

Jan

Thanks, it makes thing simpler, and faster bacause with a open loop class d, I need psrr solution, and this is possible as I did read, with feed forward or hysteresis boundary.

Everything fine with your sister?.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1109 Apr. 24 01.18.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1109 Apr. 24 01.18.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 288
  • ScreenHunter_1117 Apr. 24 20.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1117 Apr. 24 20.45.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I have a question about the distortion plot, what means the number between the brackets? I do see 0.05 and 1.0 procent, is maybe that number imd distortion?.

Normal with a fase shift flying capacitor class d amp carrier get doubled, but in ltspice I can not see that.

Thanks for the help.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1297 Jul. 06 16.10.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1297 Jul. 06 16.10.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 183
  • ScreenHunter_1299 Jul. 06 16.30.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1299 Jul. 06 16.30.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 193
Does anybody out there have a model for medium power depletion mode
MOSFETs? I'd like to use them for bootstrapping / cascoding.

There aren't many types available, and even less simulation models.
There is a p-spice model for the Infineon BSP149. That seems
quite complex and I would not trust it even if I was able to force-feed
it to LTspice.

Examples:
IFX BSP149, BSS159
IXYS CPC3703CTR , CPC3902ZTR
Microchip DN2470K4-G , DN3525N8-G

regards, Gerhard

Automating plotting THD vs power

I'm plotting 1kHz THD vs power for open loop and various feedback configurations and levels for a tube amp.

It's a very tedious process:
- Use multiple runs to plot peak-to-peak input voltage vs power out and add this data to a spreadsheet
- Run the sim for each of those peak-to-peak input voltages and use a .four directive to generate the THD. After each run add the THD data to a spreadsheet.
- Plot the results.

You have to decide what accuracy you want in order to set the delay cycles and the number of cycles over which to take the THD measurement.

I'm using a delay of 10 cycles and measurement over 10 cycles. More would be nicer but running the simulation below takes a very long time.

What I've managed to do so far is make the input voltage a variable using

SINE(0 {Vin} {F} 0 0 0 1000)

Then I've added the input voltages worked out in the first step as a step parameter list:

.step param Vin list 0.03 0.065 0.092 0.13 0.205 0.29 0.4515 0.567 0.63 0.659 0.6875 0.74 0.766 0.795 0.85

When I display the error log and I can copy the THD for each step. I also get a very pretty but not particularly useful chart of output power:

Output power for listed input voltages.png

Ctrl-clicking on V(LOAD)*I(R21) results in ".step'ed data sets cant be integrated". Not unreasonable.

Can anyone suggest ways I can better automate this process please?

Ideally LTSpice would generate the plots for me but I haven't worked out how to do that.

Even getting LTSpice to put the average power into the error log for each step would be nice.

Thanks!

Automating plotting amp THD vs power

I'm plotting 1kHz THD vs power for open loop and various feedback configurations and levels for a tube amp.

It's a very tedious process:
- Use multiple runs to plot peak-to-peak input voltage vs power out and add this data to a spreadsheet
- Run the sim for each of those peak-to-peak input voltages and use a .four directive to generate the THD. After each run add the THD data to a spreadsheet.
- Plot the results.

I've been doing a lot of research on this.

Using the stepping and measure commands I've managed to automate some of it.

.step causes an analysis to be repeatedly performed while stepping the temperature, a model parameter, a global parameter, or an independent source. Steps may be linear, logarithmic, or specified as a list of values.

I use a small number of cycles to work out a list of input voltages that will roughly produce the output powers that I'm interested in (100mW, 500mW, !w, 2W etc).

Then I make the AC signal source amplitude {Vin} and use something like this to perform the analysis using a much large number of cycles:

.step param Vin list 0.0189 0.04225 0.05975 0.0843 0.133 0.1865 0.288 0.3565 0.3935 0.4103 0.427 0.4585 0.475 0.4425 0.535

I use the usual .four commands to get the THDs I'm interested in added to the log and then some .meas commands to get gains and output powers added to the log like this:

.meas Vin RMS V(n015)
.meas Vout RMS V(LOAD)
.meas gain param Vout/Vin
.meas TRAN Vload_rms RMS V(LOAD)
.meas TRAN Iload_rms RMS I(R21)
.meas rms_power PARAM Vload_rms*Iload_rms

When I start investigating I'm always amazed what LTSpice can do!

Next step is to investigate how I can get LTSpice to create the plots I want for me. I did find Audio Total Harmonic Distortion Analyzer for LTSPICE, making THD vs. Amplitude and Frequency sweeps in LTSPICE. Good place to start but I want THD vs Power.

Last edited:

I'm using a delay of 10 cycles and measurement over 10 cycles. More would be nicer but running the simulation below takes a very long time.
Measuring over 10 cycles is not a lot to get accurate results, 20 would be better, but I understand that simulation time is a problem.
Therefore my question: what is the Maximum Timestep that you have specified in the Transient command.
Taking a very small step size, increases simulation time a lot.
Because you are just interested in harmonics of a 1Khz signal, a FFT Spectrum width of 25.600Hz (= 2^9 datapoints) seems adequate with a filter width of 100Hz.
For that you could then use a Maximum Timestep of 19.5usec for the 10 msec Stop Time that you are using.

When using a Stop Time of 20msec for 20 cycles, you will need 2^10 datapoints for the same spectrum width of 25.600Hz, and use the same 19.5usec Maximum Timestep.

Hans