Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII), From beginner to advanced

I've started experiencing a lot of crashes on LTXVII x64 following a clean install of the latest version of W10. Mine crashes when running a transient analysis, and typically at the instant the window should split into the two screens. Occasionally it appears OK but crashes when you probe anything.

I haven't found any reason for this although I suspected a graphics issue, however a lot of testing with different drivers and settings, and even using just the basic MS video driver have all shown the problem at some point.

This I have solved with the writer of program, if you update LT to lates version then it is oke. If not then W10 can be cause, that is why I use W7 much more stable with such software.

The crashes are solved, I had also LT old version on the pc, in some way it does interact.

regards

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Unfortunately I have to report that the issues are not fully fixed, at least for me. Today and it has crashed out 50% of the time.

As I use disk imaging software I can take things back to a clean starting point which I have done again. I can see that updating my clean x64 installation as advised by Mike now seems to add the x86 executable and required files. I declined the x86 version from the original install file but the updates seem to now include it whether you want it or not. The two images show my clean W10 starting point (x64 executable only) and then after running LT's update.

The x86 version seems much less prone to problems for me at least. I'll let Mike know the score as it definitely 'aint right as it is. I've tried such things as changing the scaling and DPI settings but it still crashes.

Attachments

• LTC1.JPG
    LTC1.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 175
  • LTC2.JPG
    LTC2.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 181
It did never crash again with the new version on the same casue, before it did crash when the window opens for the graph plot, that is solved after let Mike now.

here I get something I can not get right, 4 triangles in fase, it does two below zero out of fase.

somewhone now?.

regards

Attachments

• triangle.asc
    869 bytes · Views: 40
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It did never crash again with the new version on the same cause, before it did crash when the window opens for the graph plot, that is solved after I let Mike know.

here I get something I can not get right, 4 triangles in phase, it does two below zero out of phase.

someone know?

regards

Kees I see nothing wrong here. How does it look at your side?

Edit: LTspice draws it exactly as you specified it. If you want them all to be in-phase, you need to specify the points in the correct order, see 2nd pic.

Jan

Attachments

• triangle.JPG
    triangle.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 144
  • triangle in-phase.JPG
    triangle in-phase.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I did get this from it.

That's because you specified the points in the wrong order. If you want the wave always to go up at the start, specify the lowest value always as first point. That is the point with the highest neg value if the wave is fully below the zero line.
Look at the modified source values in my 2nd picture.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Kean,

I did run it in stand-alone mode with no issues, but then got sidetracked with another idea.

I realized you can also drive a floating FET by driving a current from a current source through a resistor between G and S, as a CS has ideally infinite Zout and will float up and down to whatever the Vgs happens to be. Especially when the S is hung off a low impedance point.
See attached.

Jan

Attachments

• float cdrive.JPG
    float cdrive.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 164
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, I've tried that in an amp feedback loop to make a circuit to reduce gain in order to prevent clipping. The OptoFET would still be nice to eliminate Q1 as a source of distortion or noise.

Good point. But in my circuit, the control current is DC, and I probably will need to insert a common emitter stage in the control current line to eliminate miller C. Not sure that is an issue, maybe not.

I am still in proof-of-concept mode :cool:

Jan

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A bit more on the issue of LTXVII not responding. I might have had a bit of a breakthrough and after researching the issue generally (why any program might do this) I stumbled on the idea of forcing the program to run in a higher priority mode. That means it can draw on more CPU cycles when running, not anything related to Admin privileges.

You can do this as a one off from Task Manager but it isn't remembered next time the program runs.

More research and I find you can alter the shortcut that opens LT to run in a High Priority mode. This involved changing the 'target' the shortcut points to by pasting in a new directive.

The original target was:
"C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\XVIIx64.exe"

And is now:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" /High "C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\XVIIx64.exe"

The shortcut icon will change to that of the cmd.exe icon, however you can re-apply the LTspice icon from the shortcut properties by browsing to the x64 executable in the program files for LT. You will then see the image and that can be applied. In W10 you will need to either sign out or restart in order to get the icon change to apply.

All I can say is that I haven't seen a crash throughout numerous rapid openings of LT and running of simulations.

The one downside is that you must browse for the file you want from within LT. If you click on a .asc directly then LT will open in default 'Normal' priority. As if to confirm I might be on to something, I found that each time I did just that the program crashed again.

If you want to see how bad LT was for me then here is an 8mb .AVI video file on Dropbox. I'll leave this up for a few days. Haven't made a new file of it working correctly for the simple reason that I use disk imaging to investigate issues like this, and I'm back to my 'clean' install of W10. For investigating I installed the screen capture software.

LT Crashing

THanks Jan for explaining the way to make triangles, here I did play a little, it is quite simple.

En nu voorbereiden op de rechtszaak, de woningbouw wil mijn houtkachel er uit laten halen, telkens last van hun, en de buur, zo kan ik niet echt iets maken, door de stress. Kachel is reukloze (wanneer warm) hoog rendement.

Picture is uncluded about the triangles, now I can do all different tryings for multilevel.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1193 May. 21 13.03.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1193 May. 21 13.03.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 145