looking for all-in-one program w/ICs library

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looking to buy one program, or 2 if one is better at one purpose and one at the other.

back in college used multisim, which i disliked because making connections on from one wire to the other wasnt very easy, it was mostly conecting from a node or a point to a wire. thats pretty much the only program im familiar with thats all.

i need a software that:

1) has a library of most ICs fro amplifier, and fm/am circuits like tda7088, tda2030 etc. or can import ICs, (if they are available online, and if there alot of them available online to be imported)

2) Simulation/spice is not too important but if it has it thats a plus.

3) automatically make pcb layout from a schematic

4) generate gerber file

5) doesnt take a long time to learn how to use it

if theres no all-in-one program, tham i'd be happy to buy 2 or even 3, as long if its easy to transfer the files between them

how big a deal is item 3?
sounds like you want boards designed by autorouting?
most designers don't; "good" humans are better than best autorouters.

btw, what's your cost target? the best stuff ain't cheap.
and what have you played with that you like? The human interfaces vary in their "appeal".

mlloyd1

not too much of a deal actualy. but to have that option would be a great starting point when converting to pcb.
under $1000

just downloaded and trying a demo of proteus 8 right now. trying to figure out how do add ICs to components library.. didnt look for the price of it yet but it seems not too compicated to use

No system will do that, especially the most important skill in PCB design component placement.
And one of the most critical and important skills you can learn for CAD is creating your own parts, footprints and schematic symbols, library management, this is where you control the quality of your data and thus designs.

Last edited:
Eagle is likely to have the more complete component libs - KiCad even imports Eagle's

but nothing is going to have everything

that's why any review of a PCB layout editor usually includes comments on the ease of part editing

part packages/outlines/footprints are often industry standards - so you just have to grab the right footprint for the part and then assign pins for the exact part number

and everyone with experience will tell you that autorouting is useless for analog - the layout is very much a part of the circuit, performance and needs full application of the circuit designer's intelligence to layout properly

Last edited:
Eagle is the most popular, no doubt about that.
So there are LOTS of parts for Eagle libraries around the internet, if you're comfortable with that.
Some of us have been happier with products that have a human interface that fits our expectations better (I hope that was diplomatic enough :) )
For example, I like DipTrace.

Best regards,
mlloyd1

Eagle has extensive libraries but in my experience they are of very variable quality and you end up having to review the library parts most carefully before using them.

Altium has extensive libraries of good quality but is well outside your price range.
Pads is a case of '1990 called and wants its cad back', we hates it we does.

In my view the libraries are almost incidental, the thing that matters is being able to easily constrain net classes and define extensive sets of design rules in a useful manner, this far more then pre made libraries defines the ease with which you can do a design that you are confident is correct.

Autorouters are a waste of time for analogue and only make sense for digital if you take a week or so setting up a whole bucketful of constraints first.

Regards, Dan.

There are a variety of softwares. DipTrace, Eagle, Altium, etc. etc. etc.

I like DipTrace because it is intuitive and easy to use. Plus its super simple to make your own parts. One guy on another forum mentioned he made a 320 pin BGA part in about 5min. That being said, it isn't quite as powerful as Eagle (nor has the community support) but it makes up for it in intuitiveness. It also has a free non-profit version for trial. It might not have the parts libraries you want but you can make them quickly and easily. I often don't even bother looking for parts libraries anymore. I just throw it together in less time than it usually takes to find a good part library.

Last edited:
Pulsonix ....

I have spent some time doing a project in Pulsonix. It is not the most famous, but it does have a very easy to use interface (old office like) easy tools for making your own parts and libraries, supports industry standards etc. It has a demo so check it out.

looking to buy one program, or 2 if one is better at one purpose and one at the other.

back in college used multisim, which i disliked because making connections on from one wire to the other wasnt very easy, it was mostly conecting from a node or a point to a wire. thats pretty much the only program im familiar with thats all.

i need a software that:

1) has a library of most ICs fro amplifier, and fm/am circuits like tda7088, tda2030 etc. or can import ICs, (if they are available online, and if there alot of them available online to be imported)

2) Simulation/spice is not too important but if it has it thats a plus.

4) generate gerber file

5) doesnt take a long time to learn how to use it

if theres no all-in-one program, tham i'd be happy to buy 2 or even 3, as long if its easy to transfer the files between them

Have a look at the TINA design program from Texas Instruments / Design Soft. I own this for circuit simulation and I love it. I think the interface is very intuitive and user friendly and there are many parts (e.g. ICs) included. You can import netlists to create new parts. It also has a built in PCB designer, but I have never used it. There is also an online / cloud version but I have also not used it either.

Links:
SPICE-Based Analog Simulation Program - TINA-TI - TI Software Folder
TINA - Analog, Digital, Mixed Signal, MCU, RF Circuit Simulation & PCB Design

DIPtrace is nice.

regarding your question, there are probably several ways. here is one:
as an example, i want to show a value for R33.
in schematic, left-click on component R33.
you'll see a part info screen in the upper right screen.
change the circled "Marking 2" selection from "Default" to "Value".

mlloyd1

so far I like DIPtrace for schematics. very easy to use. can't figure out how to have components values show up next to each component tho..

Attachments

• show_component_value.png
    show_component_value.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 87
DIPtrace is nice.

regarding your question, there are probably several ways. here is one:
as an example, i want to show a value for R33.
in schematic, left-click on component R33.
you'll see a part info screen in the upper right screen.
change the circled "Marking 2" selection from "Default" to "Value".

mlloyd1

I was just about to make this post. You did a much better job. Excellent post.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.