Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

XSim free crossover designer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2014, 02:18 AM   #21
JMB is offline JMB  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bill,

Did you do an update? My software said it was updating.

Also, if you are interested in a wish list (I apologize, if you are not):
Maybe the ability to insert a switch to easily switch between two xover designs and then maybe a save overlay to compare. In fact, if it is possible, perhaps multiple overlay saves with multiple colors?

Again, thanks so much for this software. The potential here is enormous.

Jay
Old 5th August 2014, 02:41 AM   #22
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Yeah, there was a minor update (mostly to allow you to go to Tune mode by double clicking and to register ".dxo" file types with XSim).

You can save an FRD file of a crossover curve result to disk, then use it as the "file" curve in a Frequency Response graph.

You can also click the "Hold" button while tweaking to compare results.

Multiple overlay saves in colors would take some doing the way things are arranged. I guess I could up the number of File curves maybe. I'll check to see how hard that would be.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 5th August 2014, 01:09 PM   #23
JMB is offline JMB  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Jay
Old 5th August 2014, 10:10 PM   #24
ente is offline ente  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default XSim meets LoudspeakerSoft ?

... just some additional remarks to post 17:
  • LoudspeakerSoft is no more available. Marcel took it from his homepage some months ago
  • LoudspeakerSoft is a pure xover simulation software
  • the posibility to simulate XO on and off axis simultaneously is the most liked feature of LoudspeakerSoft in the german diy community.
Encl. please find the original manual of LoudspeakerSoft. It gives a short impression of the features and the handling.

Regards
Heinrich
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lshelp.pdf (201.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 8th August 2014, 12:22 AM   #25
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Bill! I just started using this yesterday and it look very nice.
I really, really like being able to build the topology needed. As much as I love Jeff Bagby's PCD (have used it for years and learned a lot) the limits of topology are often frustrating.

I'll put in a plug for canned target curves if possible. I find those very helpful in PCD. Will probably end up exporting them from PCD and importing them into Xsim.

Will post more feedback after more hands on. Thanks again!
Old 8th August 2014, 01:47 AM   #26
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
The "named" filter shapes (Butterworth, LR, Bessel, etc) seem to be theory teaching things, not terribly relevant (to me at least) with real delay offsets in play, already existing acoustic rolloffs, and driver EQing to handle. When I do crossovers, I work in terms of number of poles and zeroes added and how the curves behave where they join each other.
This is completely backwards, you add in a target curve to show you what you should be aiming for. You then alter the crossover component values and topologies into massaging the drivers natural response to meet the desired acoustic target. This is how LspCAD does it and it is extremely effective.

Sure, the filter slopes are purely theoretical when you're discussing electrical filters alone, but this does not mean the theory and how theoretical drivers sum is irrelevant when considering real world systems. Quite the opposite in fact, it is the theory that shows us what filter types we should be aiming for.

Obviously in the real world you need to consider the electrical filter + the drivers inherent response, but the target acoustic roll off, for your woofer and tweeter, for example, should be text book 4th order LW slopes, or similar. If you've got access too all-pass circuits, digital delay and the like then once you've hit the acoustic slopes all you need to do is apply the relevant amount of delay necessary to bring the drivers into perfect phase alignment. If you don't really have delay, such is the case with most passive xovers, then sure, you do need to deviate away from textbook acoustic targets, towards asymmetric slopes, to bring the drivers into correct phase alignment, but the less you need to deviate the better. The initial goal should always be to land on a textbook acoustic slope, it is then up to you to find a way to make the drivers sum correctly, without moving too far away from that slope.

A piece of crossover design software that does not include target acoustic slopes is completely pointless imo.
Old 8th August 2014, 05:58 PM   #27
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

But that methodology assumes the drivers are in the same delay reference plane, and they almost never are. Summing is a matter of delay not just magnitudes. Unless you can adjust the relative delays to the listening position, the canned curve types won't sum like the books say they will, and basically don't mean much at all.

What is the magic in the named crossover types? They are just points on a continuum.

Edit: you could just load in a target curve as the "File" freq response curve to use it as a target if that's your fave method. You can also put in unattached drivers on the schematic and load those with your target curves so they can display (raw) on the response graphs.

Last edited by bwaslo; 8th August 2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 8th August 2014, 06:57 PM   #28
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
But that methodology assumes the drivers are in the same delay reference plane, and they almost never are. Summing is a matter of delay not just magnitudes. Unless you can adjust the relative delays to the listening position, the canned curve types won't sum like the books say they will, and basically don't mean much at all.

What is the magic in the named crossover types? They are just points on a continuum.

Edit: you could just load in a target curve as the "File" freq response curve to use it as a target if that's your fave method. You can also put in unattached drivers on the schematic and load those with your target curves so they can display (raw) on the response graphs.
Did you even read what I wrote?
Old 8th August 2014, 09:19 PM   #29
JacquesToo is offline JacquesToo  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Not fond of thinking from boxes either. For an analytical perspective, by all means, and then from as many sides as possible, but not as something which HAS to be done, from the outset. We all have our ways and to me this piece if software seems valuable. Thanks Bill.
Old 17th August 2014, 08:23 PM   #30
zakman35 is offline zakman35  Mozambique
Account disabled at member's request

Thanks Bill, looking very nice.

For some reason i cannot load frd files, any idea?

XSim free crossover designerHide this!Advertise here!