Using Eagle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would recommend that you purchase the book "Designing Circuit Boards With Eagle" by Matthew Scarpino. I've had alot of trouble getting simple questions answered, and so I just bought this book about a week ago. It's designed for beginners and experienced licensed engineers alike, and covers the steps in a practical manner. If you're not experienced in code and other aspects of computer use, that is fine. It will guide you through every step from the concept to the final Gerber files for having the boards made, to more advanced actions like creating components. Oh, it works with LTSpice, too!

Sparkfun

I'm not familiar with Eagle, as I always used design programs to draw schematics.

Is there a way to capture a design, like some kind of import, and moving it to Eagle?

There are 3 excellent tutorials on the Sparkfun website how to use Eagle :
https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/108 (109 and 110 )
You can import from LTspice and export to LTspice in Eagle .

Cheers ,

Rens

My approach to drawing schematics has been a more primitive one and simple: I used Touch, a program by Logitech, that came with their old hand scanner.

Even if very simple, it was easy to use and quite practical. Much better than Paint, that comes with Windows.

The problem is it doesn't run with Windows XP or 7.

For designing the pcb I used a DOS program called Trax. That also doesn't run with modern Windows, but at least I can open the files with Protel.

I never used LTSpice or know how to use it.

Now I feel I have to learn a "proper" schematics design program, that can produce files that can be accepted by pcb manufacturing companies. Eagle seemed the easiest to learn.

Hi Carlmart,

You need to think in design-flow:
Draw schematics -> select footprint for parts-> draw PCB

In eagle and other programs the schematics and PCB can be tied together so your connectivity is maintained – this is done by means of a “netlist”

The netlist contains information about your components, their footprint, their pads and how they interconnect.
If you draw your schematics in a different program than eagle, you have to first export the netlist in a format – then you have to import it into eagle.
This does not save you the work of generating libraries with your favorite parts, so I propose that you keep your simulation file in the program suitable for simulation, and your PCB work in a program tailored for PCB layout.

The real work is generating libraries – the rest is “just another tool”
\\\Jens

I would recommend checking out DipTrace. I find that some people gravitate more to one or the other. For some people, especially those used to other types of CAD programs, EAGLE feels like home. For others, like myself, DipTrace is much more intuitive to use. Neither is better or worse per se just different strokes for different folks. EAGLE does have the benefit of a HUGE user base and that is to never be underestimated. DipTrace has a free version (Non-Profit Standard license is free) and after the most recent update fixed their previously horrible Library Management System, its really great to use.

Here is DipTraces own tutorial on how to get started. It's all it took for me to learn how to use the program well.

As for generating libraries DipTrace is well known for being one of the easiest out there to design your own parts libraries. Very very intuitive, to the point that I almost never look for premade parts libraries anymore. If something isn't included I just make it myself it only takes a few minutes usually.

Good luck with whatever you work with.

good footprints are not "trivial" - and take time away from laying out the circuit - I want expert designed, properly filleted, the right solder mask windows, legible silkscreen

I shouldn't have to duplicate the work, likely make new errors when there should be complete library parts premade, vetted by actual production success

good footprints are not "trivial" - and take time away from laying out the circuit - I want expert designed, properly filleted, the right solder mask windows, legible silkscreen

I shouldn't have to duplicate the work, likely make new errors when there should be complete library parts premade, vetted by actual production success

I've made dozens of parts and have not had an issue yet. Not with solder mask, not with silk screen, not with making the part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.