Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Software Tools

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2014, 05:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2014 Operating System for Pentium III PC's and Laptops

I joined this forum back in 2005 and got a lot of advice and enjoyed being a forum member. In 2006 my brother made the mistake of introducing me to the world of Linux. At first I thought what is this strange Operating System and it took me about a month to in away reprogram my brain to the way Linux worked verses Windows. I can tell you Linux drove me crazy and way back in 2006 at times a battle to get my Hardware working. In doing so Linux taught me a lot about how a Computer worked. Today Linux is a very different beast with many versions like Mint, Ubuntu being a simple 7 click install and great support for hardware out of the box.

OK now to why I'm posting. Computer Waste! or should I say perfectly working Hardware with a tired out of date Operating System on it called Windows 98, Me and XP. Since 2007 I've been developing a Operating System call Legacy OS Linux designed for those old computers, refining it with every new release with over 130,000 free downloads over the years. Yes I've been quite on this forum and now you know why.

This month I released Legacy OS 2.1 LTS which comes preinstalled with around 150 Applications (Programs) including a number of PCB / Audio applications to use. You can install it or run it live of the CD. With the help of a program called Wine it's possible to run a number of splice Programs etc originally made for Windows 98, Me and XP. So if your shiny new Windows 7 and 8 computer won't let you run your trusty old software package maybe with help from me Legacy OS will.

Legacy OS has always been made available for free download and you can find it here DistroWatch.com: Legacy OS

While you're there you can visit my home page.

So drag that old dusty PC out of the cupboard and turn it in to something very useful for more than just audio related stuff. You can use it on the Internet (Virus Free) I'm doing it right now posting on this forum, Play games, Music, Graphics and so much more. I've been Windows free for 8 years now and love the fact that my computer will never control me worrying about viruses and everything Windows Users have to worry about. Here a picture of the Desktop, very Windows User friendly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sj5d.jpeg (349.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 18th April 2014, 07:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very cool!!!

I will check it out, I have several old machines (PIII's mostly) that range from 200 to 1Ghz and are all still working and running with MS stuff!!

I have used Puppy Linux on a my 1Ghz machine and it worked.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 18th April 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 18th April 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello geraldfryjr,
If your a Puppy Linux user then you know Legacy OS is built on top of Puppy. I work in a Movie Cinema and I've setup a Pentium II running Legacy OS for our Foyer Music. The PC is 14 years old and on 24 hours a day. Its been playing random MP3's for 2 years now and hasn't missed a beat.

geraldfryjr you might be pleasantly surprised at how well those old PC's will run.

Legacy OS 2.1 LTS by default gives you over 50 games, will run old DOS games like "The Need For Speed". You also get lots of Drawing and CAD Programs as well as Multimedia software to convert different formats play video's. The amount of software included is going to amaze you. This is a real free legal replacement for Windows. Also included is the Opera 12 web browser with Flashplayer, Java and codecs to give you an acceptable on line experience on an old Pentium III PC. Something Windows 98 can no longer do.

I hope more of you give Legacy OS a go. Feel free to post any questions you might have.
Attached Images
File Type: png eagle.png (21.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: png oregano.png (56.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: png TKgate.png (57.8 KB, 38 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!