Real time SPICE simulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I've been working on a project that you might find useful: LiveSPICE

It is a real time SPICE simulation tool for audio signals. It allows you to design circuits and simulate them in real time with actual audio signals into/out of your computer.

I'd be curious to hear your feedback if you try it out! It's completely free and the source code is available on GitHub.

It is a custom SPICE simulation engine. I had to do a lot of crazy things to make it fast enough to run in real time. Also, to be able to do it with low latency would make it very hard to re-use an existing simulation engine.

Sorry, yes, it only runs on Windows.

simulation in the loop for motion control is a active field

I suppose you could sim pedals/effects inline, live during a performance

but for recorded music playback I'm not so sure of the usefulness - you can already feed .wav in, get .wav written out of a sim in free LTspice

I've seen that the code is open source, under the MIT license.
I haven't tested it, but it seems to have a nice user interface.

All I can say is Congratulations !
The open source community needs a fast SPICE with a nice interface. Even if the engine is not as feature rich as others, other developers could improve it.
Really good work !

but for recorded music playback I'm not so sure of the usefulness - you can already feed .wav in, get .wav written out of a sim in free LTspice
I found that when I'm playing with a circuit, I want to adjust how I'm playing in response to what I hear. If I have to record and simulate each time, that is quite limiting/annoying. With this, you can just play as if you had breadboarded a circuit.

fireworks said:
The open source community needs a fast SPICE with a nice interface. Even if the engine is not as feature rich as others, other developers could improve it.
Thank you for your kind words, but, I suspect that this simulator is too highly specialized for performance to serve a more general purpose. For example, it would be very difficult to support mixed mode devices in my engine. But, maybe someone will surprise me!

Last edited:
More tube types and models is definitely on my todo list. Right now, they are just using the Child-Langmuir model. My next step was Norman Koren's model (Improved vacuum tube models for SPICE, Part 1) but before I can use any more advanced tube models, I need to do some major work on my computer algebra. Right now the only non-linear functions it can really deal with well are the exponentials found in diode and transistor models.

Currently, transient (time domain) simulations are the only type of simulations supported. During simulation, you can change some resistors (if they are pots or variable resistors), but you can't change most components or the circuit topology. The hardest problem in doing this really isn't any simulation/analysis issue, it's just a matter of how to build the user interface to allow it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.